Michellep224

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Virginia
Hello,
I have 11 full-size chickens, and no time to build a coop. I have pondered buying a storage building to make into a coop, but I was wondering if something pre-fab could be large enough.

They will have a large pen to almost free-range in, so I'm not TOO worried about the space.

I found this:
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/littlecottagecolonialgable6x8ft.cfm
Would something like this be okay for them?
Also, I live in central VA. Would I need to insulate something like this?

Thanks!

Its almost better to have less space if you dont have a heater because thier bodies only heat a small area efficiently

Sizewise it's probably ok, assuming you don't plan on adding more birds.

Reading the review it sounds like this takes a bit of work to put together (4-6 hrs) so if time is the issue you'll probably need to hire a handyman or carpenter to assemble (and add that to the cost).

Supposedly there's some ventilation in the roof but it doesn't specify how much. I don't like not having windows, so I'd recommend adding at least another window on one of the non window sides for light and ventilation.

I suspect you get a Kit that you have to build , but all the pieces are already precut. It is not a prefab/assembled coop.
This is copy/paste from their site.
Q: How involved is the assembly?
Submitted 10 years ago by christie - Undisclosed
Open Reply - Community Answer
A: The assembly time is estimated by the vendor as 4 - 6 hours for 2 people. Each coop comes with a step-by-step assembly manual but due to proprietary information, we are unable to post a full set of assembly instructions. The manual outlines a total of 60 steps for completed assembly.

Garden sheds of that size or even larger cost less . You do have to do some converting.
Have you considered some Vinyl Plastic sheds??? I think they can be assembled in about same amount of time (or less) the coop you are considering.
Price is also less and will last a very long time without rotting.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
I understand when you just cant do things yourself ,,,, things get difficult.

These cutesy coop kits are usually impractical and terribly over priced. You could probably buy a shed for less money. If you go to a place that makes custom portable buildings you can get all of the features you want included for less money and it will be made of higher quality materials... And unlike a fancy coop you order online, a portable shed would include delivery and assembly.

I agree with others call it a chicken coop and price goes up. Call it a shed and price comes down. Yes you'll have minor modifications to do but you'll end up with more space. With the price difference you can pay a handyman to add nest boxes and roost bars if needed. Set it on cinder blocks and chooks will be able to go under. Also another option is Craigslist to find a great deal. Stop by Lowe's or Home Depot they may have some on sale this time of year.
Happy shopping.

Personally, I think it looks nice. It also has skids in the bottom, so theoretically moveable if you needed to at some point, it would likely be a little easier than a shed. In addition, the ground below may need less prep with this coop on skids than a shed.

FWIW, we have a local farm store in an area with some Amish. They sell Amish made coops, and one of them looks exactly like this (different color), and sold for approx same price.

No, you won’t need insulation. Your temps never get that low in VA. Keep them out of drafts and keep them dry, and they’ll be fine.

Mods I would have my handyman make on this coop:
1. More venting, maybe a roof ridge vent would be an easy modification. Or add a metal vent plate on the wall, at very top. And put it on the side that does not get the prevailing winds.

2. Paint the interior for easier cleanup or looks if you want- much easier to do before chickens take up residence.

3. If you want sturdier latches or extra latches added, then easiest at the point of assembly.

4. Extra roosts? Add at build. We built a similar sized coop (walk-in height). We put in a ladder style roost bar set up and hinged it to the side walls, so it could be lifted up out of the way to clean it. Works well and provides lots of space. But, not necessary as what is there is adequate.

Good luck and enjoy whatever new coop you decide on!

I think generally, that looks decent. You will need to add more ventilation, however. At aprox 42sqft, if you use the 4 sqft per chicken rule, that's 10 chickens. You can do 11, if they will not be stuck in the coop all day due to bad weather. Price out sheds, and figure in hiring someone to do modifications and see if it's cheaper and/or bigger.

Things I don't like about it ...

1. Small - really just over 6'X7'.
2. Human door is short, just over 5' tall.
3. Window is small, and should be higher.
4. While it is on runners, you will need a 4X4 truck to skid/move it, plus the wood should be set up on concrete so it won't rot!
5. The eaves over the nesting boxes will dump rain right on top of the nesting boxes ... if it doesn't leak (questionable) it will be wet collecting eggs in the rain/snow.

6. Needs lots more vents up high ...

7. Quite expensive, and a full day atleast to assemble ...

----------------------------

Seriously think about getting a shed, or having one built for you ... maybe someone is looking for some extra "holiday cash"???

Consider getting a 8'X8'-10' shed with a real sized door, plus atleast two open able windows, and venting up high, no insulation needed.

Back
Top Bottom