Help Please - Sick Goose

I had to take off today so I could take my mom to a doctor appointment. I took the opportunity to scope out the area and found a vet to take a look at her.

$280 later, no answers as to what the issue is but they gave me Baytril (antibiotic), Hills urgent care a/d canned dog/cat food, and Ox Bow animal health critical care.

I have to mix water, wet food, and the critical care and put a tube down her throat to feed her 60 ml(s) at a time - 2-3 times a day.

And keep praying that it gets her back in good health!!!

FYI - I also read that the eye mucus is a symptom of being severely malnourished...
Which she definitely is :-(

I'm glad you took her to the vet. Did they show you how to tube feed her? I've never done it before. The antibiotics should help if she has a sinus infection I hope. They couldn't give you any idea what they thought it was? For that kind of money it looks like you would have gotten a diagnois. I will keep you both in my prayers I know it's hard to take care of a sick one. Give Lucy a big hug from me and tell her I'm rooting for her to get better.

Please keep us updated.

The vet said that she couldn't find anything wrong other than the fact that she was underweight from not eating. She said to try the antibiotics and the tube feeding and if she wasn't better in a couple days to come back and they would do a blood test ($140) and see if they could come up with anything.

She showed me how to tube feed her and gave me everything I would need to do it. I was able to do it by myself just a few minutes ago. It only took me an hour to get in the correct wrestling position on the floor of my bathroom - where I could keep her wings from flapping and her head still so I could insert the tube! It would have definitely been a winner on America's funniest home videos!

She said that as long as you keep the tube on the left side of her beak and move the tube down slowly, it's almost impossible to hit the trachea... Which is a definite no-no. When she opens her mouth, she has a little nodule on her tongue that lifts and covers the opening of the trachea. The trachea itself becomes very narrow and only has a slender opening if any, when her mouth opens.

I really appreciate everyone that has helped me so far, and I wouldn't trade this site for anything! You guys are fabulous :)

@RLasseter we're all pulling for her and you for doing this for her they are def worth it all. Please keep us updated.

Bless you both.
hugs.gif

Are you putting the towel over her before you hold her down. Maybe cover her face until you get her situated with the tube. I can't imagine doing this. Your very brave and dedicated to her to get her well. I sure hope and pray Lucy gets better. How long do you have to tube feed her? With the food and nurishment she should be putting on weight and get her strength back. Bless your heart for being there for her and please give us an update on how she is doing.

I wish I could have helped you more. There are a lot of good people on BYC they have helped me many times.

Are you putting the towel over her before you hold her down. Maybe cover her face until you get her situated with the tube. I can't imagine doing this. Your very brave and dedicated to her to get her well. I sure hope and pray Lucy gets better. How long do you have to tube feed her? With the food and nurishment she should be putting on weight and get her strength back. Bless your heart for being there for her and please give us an update on how she is doing.

I wish I could have helped you more. There are a lot of good people on BYC they have helped me many times.
Great advise about the towel if you have one large enough wrapping her in it to keep her wings still is a good idea.

I actually put one towel on the floor, sit Lucy on that towel, then I simply lay another one on top of her so she feels the weight of something so she "thinks" she is wrapped up. Then I sit on the floor, lay my right leg down flat on the floor in front of her chest, and put my left leg over her back. My left leg barely touches her wings on each side, but with the towel over her back I guess she thinks I have a hold of her. I keep my left knee bent so when she throws her head back to get away from me and the tube (which she does every time) she feels my knee behind her head and doesn't struggle with me so much. Once I get all 60ml down, she just lays her head down on my right leg and let's me clean her face up. We are getting pretty good at the process in just 3 feedings! Bad news is, I'm getting used to talking to her every morning in my bathroom while I'm getting dressed... I am going to miss her when she gets well enough to go back out with the others
1f622.png

You do form a special bond with them when they are sick. They bond with you too and I think they know you are trying to get them better. I've never had a goose before but that has always happened when I took care of sick chicken or duck. It sounds like you have a good system going there with the tube feeding. Hopefully over time it will get easier for you and her both.

Back
Top Bottom