Help with assisting twin hatch (muscovi)

This is the point where I feel silly because it turned out my twins were not in fact twins :rolleyes:

Good news is I woke up to 3 heathly ducklings this morning, and I’m grateful for your help and support! :love

#1 hatched by itself yesterday evening.

#4 I helped around midnight because it was calling out loudly (foot over head). I removed a little less than half the shell and it came out by itself about an hour later.

#3 I had started assisting after I did #4 just enough to reveal the beak (hole about the size of the pip it had), and put it back because it didn’t look ready (still chewing). It hatched about 5 am and would have hatched by itself if I hadn’t touched it.

I have learnt a lot with this hatch! Hope others reading later find his useful as well. Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpeg
    IMG_1146.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 19
I think they bruised because the shell and membranes were pretty thick, otherwise they might have piped instead of bruising?

Not an expert myself so it is just my best guess from seeing the shells after. I am also confused why they bruised on the sides after piping internally, I would expect the pip to be in the air cell, but both were off a little from where I would expect it.

I have no duck experience, but I've done geese and chickens. Never a double. What could cause two of your eggs to bruise if there wasn't a double?
They just don’t get into proper position to hit the air cell
That makes them need to try to external before they run out of apr but usually the shell is to hard at the start of hatching and often we need to help with a safety hole just so they get air
Sometimes they can break the shell and external
Anytime you see a bruise you don’t wait. It’s tiny safety hole then wait 48-72 hours. Some are able to get out on their own and others need help

Back
Top Bottom