Hen food for roos?

nitefallz

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2020
So I have 3 roos, two of which are crowing, and a third one which hasn't yet. We were told they were hens and have been feeding them the Purina Layena food. I only realized yesterday when looking at the food bag that it says to not feed it to young birds, or males. So... what should I feed these guys and more importantly what would the side effects of them having been fed this for so long?

Back story here if anyone is curious - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-hen-owner-need-help-with-two-hens-crowing.1408441/

While layer feed does have more calcium than the boys need which can occasionally cause issues for them, most of the time it does not, especially if not given long term (years). My boys have eaten layer feed with no issues when I had some hens that refused to eat oyster shells so we put everyone on a layer feed for a while.

What I feed my flocks generally is an All Flock or Flock Maintainer pellet. (You could do crumble, but I find that there is less mess and waste with pellet.) All flock is great for boys and girls of all of my different species bird flocks and leaves the extra calcium out, to be supplemented as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom