Hen or Rooster?

Boom Boom Chick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
Hi Y'all,

I need some help with my 8 week old buff orpington bantam chick. I think she

is a hen and is on her own since her momma is sitting again on another egg. Therefore, our baby is being raised in the same coop with our momma who hatched her and our rooster who is separated next to the coop in a seperate area. The rooster dances for our baby when he is out and about and the baby now crows like him. We are wondering if she is mimicking him because momma isn't raising her now and we have noticed before momma started sitting again about a month ago momma started pecking at the baby like she didn't want her around anymore. Can anyone help?

It's definitely not a Buff Orpington bantam, and it doesn't look like a pure Buff Brahma bantam to me either although it does appear to have a pea comb. Are its legs feathered? And given the size and redness of that comb at 8 weeks, I'm thinking you have a cockerel.

Hi Y'all,

I need some help with my 8 week old buff orpington bantam chick. I think she
is a hen and is on her own since her momma is sitting again on another egg. Therefore, our baby is being raised in the same coop with our momma who hatched her and our rooster who is separated next to the coop in a seperate area. The rooster dances for our baby when he is out and about and the baby now crows like him. We are wondering if she is mimicking him because momma isn't raising her now and we have noticed before momma started sitting again about a month ago momma started pecking at the baby like she didn't want her around anymore. Can anyone help?
He isn't an Orpington, and he doesn't look quite right for a Brahma either. But it is a HE - that comb is rather red for just 8 weeks and the crowing gives it away.

Your hen brooded this chick, where did the egg come from? That will help narrow down breed, as will a profile picture.

Agree it's a cockerel, that's why it's crowing.

Back
Top Bottom