Hen swallowed piece of broccoli stem and it's stuck in throat

Oh no! I haven't had much luck with the vets in Indianapolis which is closest to me, but I will try. Do you think she'll be ok til tomorrow? Can they help with this?

Oh no! I haven't had much luck with the vets in Indianapolis which is closest to me, but I will try. Do you think she'll be ok til tomorrow? Can they help with this?

She might it...If they go without food and water for a couple of days the will die.They should be able to get it out.

Last edited:
Oh man...this is all my fault! I know I have to cook broccoli stems. I always have before. I just forgot. I will call the vet first thing in the morning. She may be spending the night in the basement "sick" room. Poor thing. Thank you

Oh man...this is all my fault! I know I have to cook broccoli stems. I always have before. I just forgot. I will call the vet first thing in the morning. She may be spending the night in the basement "sick" room. Poor thing. Thank you

You welcome.I do hope the best for your hen.

Last edited:
Quote: Be very careful attempting this...... pretty easy to squirt that water down the esophagus(aspiration), virtually drowning the bird.
@casportpony has info on how to tube a bird...much safer to tube.

Same with 'vomiting' a bird, also a danger of aspiration.
That piece of broccoli won't come back up any easier than it went down....give it time to digest, have no idea if it will tho.

Last edited:
Be very careful attempting this...... pretty easy to squirt that water down the esophagus(aspiration), virtually drowning the bird.
@casportpony has info on how to tube a bird...much safer to tube.

That piece of broccoli won't come back up any easier than it went down....give it time to digest, have no idea if it will tho.

Yes,I hate telling someone to do this but it might be a matter of time before she dies .

Be very careful attempting this...... pretty easy to squirt that water down the esophagus(aspiration), virtually drowning the bird.
@casportpony
 has info on how to tube a bird...much safer to tube.

X2

Be very careful squirting anything in haphazardly... or trying to 'push it back up'... not sure if much can be done now but wait and see?

Tubing is not only safer, but much easier than it sounds...

Quote: Agree with aart and ravynfallen

It sounds like the crop has become impacted. Vet care would be best, sometimes they can clean the crop out.

Take away any food/treats and just let her have water. She won't die without food for a day or so. @TwoCrows article describes using Ducolax to hopefully break down the impaction. Since you know it's a piece of broccoli I really don't know how quickly it would breakdown before it becomes sour.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your concern. She is trying to eat. Definitely drinking. Just a little liquid dribbled out her beak when she bent over. Not smelly. I brought her in this morning so I can monitor her intake and output. However, her comb is getting dark and shriveled on the tips, which I know is bad. I did call the vet. No appointments on Wens. Thursday is surgery day. Friday's all booked. First appt is Sat. But, she was nice and concerned and will talk to the vet and call me back. They do emergencies which I'm sure this is now. So I will take her if they say I need to even though it's an hour drive one way. I may ask the vet about the Dulcolax. That makes sense to me. Soften if up so she can digest it and get things moving.

I'm not comfortable doing any risky procedures myself and fortunate enough to be able to pay if I have to, even though my husband who is the breadwinner may be upset with it. Just hard to handle if every hen has to go this way. I'm relatively new to this and this is only my second illness. I hope I don't have to pay $200 for every hen after 2 years of life. I hate to sound cruel but money is a fact of life. I can't watch them suffer so will always take them unless they go fast and quietly. When they're struggling, I will too. At least I won't ever have too many at one time. Just a few for eggs for us. I really enjoy just watching them. Anyone know what I mean? Thanks again everyone for helping.

Back
Top Bottom