Here we go again - I'm hatching more goslings!!

Celtic-sounds like my shipment of goslings...very frustrating. I received a letter from the head office USPS and they want a copy of proof of insurance on the receipt and take that with the letter to the local PO. Well I did that and they said I had to mail that back to the head office because they didn't know what to do with it. So not only did the 4 babies not make it until 55 hours, one died, now I am having this issue with them paying for insurance claim. I am to the point of not shipping anything live again.

Kawonu, I wish the local PO would all get on the same page and low what they are suppose to do. I am lucky my local office is fantastic and helps every step of the way. Unfortunately most aren't as helpful. I spent hours explaining to "supervisors" yesterday what they were suppose to do with the live bird boxes, where the ball was dropped and what I expected of them. I hope your claim goes through once you mail it in. Make copies of everything so they can't "loose" it.

Iain not much longer on that duckling. Bet by this evening it will be mostly receded and moving more on its own.

Going to set Erin's eggs this afternoon in one of the Brinsea. I need to check my Buff Pom eggs from Kawonu (first round) as they should be ready to pull and rest in my transition bator before lockdown.

Have another pair of goslings to ship to NC. Probably not until end of the month or early May though.

While I would love to see the baby's head, I'm in no hurry for him to leave the shell. The longer he takes, the less time he will be alone until my erin toulouse baby hatches. Hope they will be great friends.
big_smile.png

My local PO is very helpful. I live on the other side of Asheville from where I work. I went to the PO at work and that is where I got all that nonsense from yesterday. I told them where they dropped the ball. It is our local sort facility. I'm sure they are all upset as the news lately says they are talking about doing away with our local sort facility.

I made copies and will send them today. I'm going to start putting insurance on all packages.

Let me know how the buff pom eggs are doing. I'm hoping you get some nice ones. I only had one out of that 8 that hatched that has markings that are not correct. The rest look like they have very good neck lines and saddles. Won't be able to tell fully until they feather out.

I'm down to about half an incubator full now...need to find more eggs or set some of my own... I let my giant African goose set since she had pulled out her feathers and made a huge nest. I felt sorry for her and let her have some buff pom eggs too. Her mate got me good Monday when I checked on her. He is a beautiful bird but you have to not turn your back. I sexed the two eggs I hatched a week ago from them and it is a boy and a girl. Already have someone that wants them.

kawonu, what is it about ganders charging from behind when you turn your back? I noticed my gander does the same thing now that he has goslings to protect.

Iain glad to hear your little survivor is doing well.

Marty sorry about the little toulouse, im glad the others are doing well!

Celtic thank goodness they found your babies! I think I'll just stick with eggs...im so scared of the po losing live babies!

My next hatcher is on day 25 today. It's dipping nicely.

kawonu, what is it about ganders charging from behind when you turn your back? I noticed my gander does the same thing now that he has goslings to protect.

My gander has been a big fat jerk since the ladies started laying. He doesn't wait for our backs to be turned, though!
smile.png

I have a question for you folks. How long should it normally take for internal pipping once shadowing is visible? If I'm understanding it correctly, the shadowing is the gosling moving in the egg to get into position for internal pipping? I'm currently mid-way through day 30. One egg (the first to dip) started showing shadowing night before last (beginning of the 29th day... I set the eggs at about 5-6p). Two others followed by yesterday morning. The 4th just had the aircell dip yesterday... no shadowing yet. Lots of movement in the shadowed eggs. I'm super anxious about these guys, as this is my first time incubating anything (though it sounds like even the pros can be pretty anxious!). I almost want to take time off work so I can be home to watch them! I work full-time, and it's nervewracking to be wondering what's going on at home.

Btw, I posted before on my moisture loss only being at around 8% on day 25. I was able to get them to a range between 11 & 13 as of weigh-in a couple days ago (thanks for the help, Iain!).

Hi bullcreek, glad that you were able to get more weight loss! Shadows start in the back... within 12-24 hours, you will see shadows creeping into front and side. If you look closely at the reddish fluid inside the membrane, you will see it turn kinda brownish/orangish and lose its veiny look. Within 12-24 hours after that the baby should internally pip.

Back
Top Bottom