Hey Grandpa, What's For Supper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Can't tell ya about Orps, since I don't have those, but my three (RIR and EE) were hatched March 27th, so about the same season as your girls. The first to lay did so at 20.5 weeks (EE), then the RIRs were 23.5 and 27 weeks. So, with your girls about 15 weeks, it'll likely still be several weeks. Watch for the red comb and the "squat."

All this talk of bread making . . . I guess I make rather odd New Years resolutions,
wink.png
but learning to bake bread was my goal one year. I don't have a bread machine, but I do have a KitchenAid mixer which I love. I know there are folks who love to spend time kneading and feel that it's a very therapeutic thing to do, but for me being able to toss the ingredients in, flip the switch, and then toss it in the oiled bowl is one way that I'll actually take the time to make bread. I need to try that beer/cheese bread. That looks yummy! I make a lot of soups in the fall/winter and that would be lovely along side.

Oh, as for supper. . . I don't know yet. We'll be at the fair.
big_smile.png

I forgot I set a venison cut in the refrigerator to thaw. It's a flank steak or something...either a thick "steak" or a thin "roast."

And I just pulled up a handful of small red onions from the garden. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe oven-roasting? I'm not wild about the flavor of venison steaks other than the backstrap, so whatever I can do to make it milder is good.

I've decided to make amends for yesterday, and make manicotti, which I looooove!
smile.png

I'm making the filling with ricotta cheese, mozzarella, reggiano (parmesan) and parsley.

Then I make a special sauce, which I really created for a pizza sauce, but it's especially robust, rich, and flavorful. With the mellow filling, that's what you need, I think.

I top the stuffed pasta with the sauce, grate on some more cheese, and bake.

We'll be having a green salad with it, and lemon sorbet afterwards. It's so filling that I don't make a heavy dessert with it.

Menageriemama, healthy is good, and I love sauteed broccoli and cauliflower!
smile.png

Looks mighty tasty, Ninjapoodles! You will have eggs before the end of the season, I'm sure. Orpingtons are a nice bird, one of my favorites, and worth the wait!
smile.png

Michigan chick, you need to name it. Something like, oh, Michigan Chick's Awesome Alfredo Casserole!
big_smile.png

Aneesasmuse, it was a little of both, thanks for asking.
smile.png

I have one dh might like, that I make with either chicken, or tuna. I'll post it in a sec!
smile.png

That sounds great, Cknmom! Your dad remains in our prayers. (((Hug!)))

Blurose, my first breadmaker was a housewarming gift, and I've never looked back. I made a fantastic bread from that book you and I were talking about on TEG, for years and years, 3 times a week, usually. But when I moved here, it was too cold to rise my bread many months of the year. Then I got my breadmaker.

I've since upgraded, and wouldn't trade it. Even if I just use it to knead and do the first rise. You can, as stated, take it once it's kneaded, shape it yourself, rise again, and bake in the oven.
smile.png
Congratulations!!!

Backyard Buddies, have fun at the fair!
smile.png

OK, for people with drafty houses or cold climates, here is my never-fail trick for rising dough:

Use the microwave. Don't turn it on or anything--it's just the perfect airtight spot for retaining warmth and moisture. Dough rises SUPER in there.

Best thing to do is to put a cup of water in the microwave, and heat it until it's boiling. Once it boils, moving quickly, turn off the microwave, and push the cup of hot water back into the corner of the microwave, and pop in your bread, lightly covered in wax paper.

You'll be amazed. And now I really want a bread machine.

Ninjapoodles, why don't you soak it in milk a couple of times today, then make a saute, or stew, with onions, carrots, garlic, worschester sauce, or a little A-1...something to add flavor to it, to make it less "venison" for you.....sweet paprika, or heck, make it into chili!!

Cut it into chili sized pieces, add beans if you want, canned tomatoes are optional, lots of chili powder, some garlic, etc. etc. You can make it so that you barely taste the meat itself. Serve with good bread or cornbread, and voila! Yep, I vote venison chili!
big_smile.png

Aneesasmuse, here's my healthier, cheese tuna/chicken-broccoli casserole.
smile.png

Cook pasta of choice. I usually use shells, or elbows. Only cook it until barely done, if even.

Cook bite sized chicken breast pieces, or have tuna ready. When I make chicken I brown the pieces a bit.

Saute broccoli florets. Put the chicken back in with the cooked florets and hold. If using tuna, wait on it.

In a saucepan heat some canned chicken or vegetable broth, or your own broth or stock. To it add salt and pepper, garlic granules optionally.

When it's hot, but not yet boiling, add 2 or 3 handfuls of grated sharp cheddar cheese. Cook, stirring, for a moment while it melts, then taste for salt and pepper. Remember that the pasta with mellow the flavors somewhat.

Mix some cornstarch with cold water in a bowl, a Tablespoon or 2, this you'll have to wing, and when well mixed, add all at once to the just-melted cheese and broth. Cook and stir until it starts to thicken.

Here's your goal.....you want the cheese sauce as thick as you'd want it in the casserole to eat. It will not thicken more in the baking process, and you'll have a soupy casserole if you don't make it the correct consistency now.

Now add the cheese sauce to the pan with the florets and chicken. Add drained pasta and stir, stir, stir. Taste again for salt and pepper. If using tuna, now is the time to carefully mix it in, so that it stays in nice chunks.

Turn the whole into a Pyrex dish, such as a 9 X 11 or 13". Bake at 350 uncovered until it's getting brown on top. Serve.
smile.png
(You may want to let the casserole sit for a few minutes before serving, but not too long.)

I put a little more pepper in this than I do some things. Or try a little extra pepper on it at the table.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That's a great idea....except for me. lol! I don't have a microwave, it was a decision I made a long time ago. But that's great to know, and I'll pass it on to anyone who has one, and needs a way to rise bread dough. Thanks!
smile.png

In the winter when it's too cold to rise bread I turn my oven on to 375*for 15min. turn off and put dough in for up to 1hr. It will rise great! My microwave is the type above the oven with the oven vent so it is not sealed? When it's windy, I can feel the wind coming in through it.
Monica

I'm having chili with coleslaw, and choice of French bread or cornbread, with a blueberry pie for dessert. I had whipped cream leftover from ice cream making, so am making the pie to use it up!
big_smile.png

I'll serve it with toppings like shredded sharp cheddar, Vidalia and green onions etc. I think most of the vegetables can come from the garden. (Onions, peppers, tomatoes.)

I hope all is well there today, Cknmom.

Last night we went to the fair. I ate part of a burger, a bite of a pulled pork sandwich, a few fries, a honey stick, a bite of Dippin' Dots (DS's snack), a few licks of soft serve ice cream (Hubby's snack), and a nibble of cotton candy (DD's snack). So basically, I mooched off of everyone else!
lol.png

Tonight we're going to the Angels/Red Sox game, but we plan to eat before we go. It's going to be 'clean out the fridge night' because we have a small supply of leftovers in there we need to use up.

Well, as always, things sure sound good at everyone's houses. Back from camping for a few days with some friends - less smoke up in the higher hills, but added to it with big ole campfires every night - smelled just like home
lol.png

Not sure what we'll have for dinner tonight as DS said something about his band practicing here this afternoon just before I went to bed last night. I have some leftover chicken from camping, so could make chicken burritos or quesadillas. Could make enchiladas, too, but don't feel like going to that much work, and these boys are kind of picky eaters (one claims to eat no fruit or veggie - glad he's not my kid, he'd starve). Maybe chicken pizzas. I don't know, I guess it will come to me at some point in time. No one ever goes hungry here, so it's not really a worry.
Tutter - your chicken/tuna casserole sounds great. Think I'll try that for Sunday's dinner!
Okay, time to finish putting stuff away from the camping trip and doing laundry. Glad to be home and cooking on the stovetop rather than over the fire!
Liz
ETA- BackyardBuddies - I love our local fair (and the fair food!). It's in a few weeks and I will definitely be pigging out there. My fair experience is only complete if I have a corn dog (Rainbow Girls booth - not the ones from the trailers), cotton candy (ahh, the childhood memories), and a pasty. If I don't have all three of those, it just wasn't the fair and my whole year is ruined until the fair comes around again
lol.png
. Okay, just kidding about that last part, but I will definitely be heading to "Treat Street"!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom