Historic Presence of Jungle Fowl in the American Deep South

Pics
:eek:nice birds!!!!!!! Where did you get them!!!! These birds seem like exactly what would be good candidates to cross with my game birds. Or I could just keep them pure instead they seem more wild than my birds....

:eek:nice birds!!!!!!! Where did you get them!!!! These birds seem like exactly what would be good candidates to cross with my game birds. Or I could just keep them pure instead they seem more wild than my birds....
Florida Bullfrog mentioned he was going to cull them. Perhaps you can work things out and own that rooster(s), because their coloration resembles rjf.

I have some bad news ... So yesterday I was visiting my uncle's house for family day. The real reason is because I wanted to see his game bantams Lol just kidding. Well his game bantams and almost gone !!!!. I asked him why, he told me that the hens egg hatch rate is decreasing dramatically. He was disappointed as he's had this rare breed living in his barn for almost 13 years now. He asked me how the birds that he gave me were doing. I told him that they are healthy but I haven't got them to go broody yet. I looked at his birds closely and they didn't seem diseased or anything. I felt bad about it so I told him that if I get my population up I will give him some. What do you guys think?

They came off of a farm in central Florida. The owners and operators were very pleasant people, but any questions as to the birds origins was met with a polite ignore. They sold the birds to me as “red jungle fowl.” As the price was only $2.50 per bitty and they looked like the Florida games I was looking for, I didn’t keep pressing the issue. I did follow up a month or so ago and again was met with a polite but obvious ignore of the question. I don’t think they were trying to scam me at that price, I think they themselves were unsure what they had and started to question it when I did.

So if these birds are Florida strain, hatchery junglefowl, or something else, I cannot say. As small as they are, but as consistent as they are in coloration and size with each other, I’d say they are the product of deliberate breeding and not accidental mutts.

I would guess that American game bantam is would be a candidate as well has hatchery jungle fowl. Regardless, they’re close enough to what I knew as Florida Cracker games that I’m happy with them and that’s probably how I’ll refer to them as now on.

Last edited:
Vary nice glad you're happy with them. Ya I wouldn't pressure them as to where the bird's came from. But it is odd that they were unwilling to tell you where the bird's came from or as to where they got them from.

48737187f158bc038b44a7091e3508eb--game-fowl-hen-house.jpg
This is a random internet picture that shows a good example of a spanish game. They historically weighed from 2 and 3/4 pounds to 3 and 3/4 pounds, a little smaller than American/English gamefowl.

Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask this on, but today I found one of my hens hidden nests in the barn. I'm really excited about it because if this breed starts laying eggs it's going to go broody . I'm a little concerned if I should add more wild hatching eggs to the nest or just leave it alone, and let her try hatching out her own eggs. Also is it too late in the year for chicks?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom