Historic Presence of Jungle Fowl in the American Deep South

Pics
I agree. Some of the most beautiful games I've ever seen wouldn't fight unless provoked by a bully. They were scared of their of shadow. But those were the wilder ones that lived on to breed and pass on their genes. Personally, I'd rather have the more timid ones that usually get along, rather than having ones that constantly try to kill any other male that they see. All my neighbors raise games to sell, but other than a few games for the yard, ill stick to the meat and egg birds.
I agree with this but I can see where centrarchid is coming from on breeds genetically drifting . Although I would still consider it a pure game bird just lacking the fighting characteristics . (which I would consider unnecessary unless it was preserved for historical purposes ).
Those a called walks. We did most of our breeding on those with considerable control over parentage. It was not a southern only thing. Owners of land supporting the walks had no interest in fighting them. They could harvest some after grade birds harvested and were often payed for the grade birds. Other times they were just happy to keep pretty birds on their place.

My family has done for many generations what you have researched and write about hypothetically.

You could make an interesting fact book on game chickens. What was the land scape like on the walks? Coverage .ect
I have some updated pictures of all of the stags that went to friends and family.

This one went to a co-worker and free ranges on her farm. He roosts in the trees at night. He was hand tame for a while but is now human aggressive. His name is Ricky (Ricardo).

View attachment 2033110View attachment 2033111View attachment 2033113

This one went to my brother. His human aggression is mild, he just puffs up but doesn't flog. Note that he kept the greenish eyes of the chicks.

View attachment 2033120View attachment 2033124

For comparison, Hei Hei and Raptor:

View attachment 2033129

View attachment 2033138

As RJF crosses, Hei Hei looks the most authentic RJF. Most of my bitties coming up are off of him. But simply as roosters, I still like the look of Raptor the most. He has a broad head and a broad body. And yet runs like a little Jurassic Park velociraptor.
Nice farm and chickens to go with it. Definitely something cool you are doing by preserving this breed. I'm trying to get more into agriculture this year I'm leaning toward the older more self reliant equipment. Like 1800s stuff modified to fit a modern tractor. I even considered draft animals. But they would be expensive. Wish I knew more about blacksmith work so I could make some of my own parts. It would be cool to see What it was like when America was made up of family owned agriculture farms and people worked together more.

I'm going to tractor supply today and they said that they have a cage of mixed breeds that I can pick thro..

Every ones opinion will be considered .
Out of these breeds which one would be the best candidate to add new blood to my feral flock of chickens..
• Silver Duckwing Old English
• Brown Old English
• Golden Sebright
• Silver Sebright
• White Silkie
• Millie Fleur D’Uccle
• Porcelain D’Uccle
• Red Pyle Old English.

Or maybe I should wait for them to import better variety.. I have to be able to identify the chicks I want from the rest of the breeds .

Are those Old English bantams?

My flock of Old English game bantams are very flighty. Might make them good in terms of personality suited for a feral bird. And they lay decently too. An egg every day to every other day. But they are tiny. Would probably be hawk candy if I let them out unless they can out dodge the hawks.

I have 9 eggs of Cracker bantam x OEGB in the incubator at the moment.

Are those Old English bantams?

My flock of Old English game bantams are very flighty. Might make them good in terms of personality suited for a feral bird. And they lay decently too. An egg every day to every other day. But they are tiny. Would probably be hawk candy if I let them out unless they can out dodge the hawks.

I have 9 eggs of Cracker bantam x OEGB in the incubator at the moment.
Yes they are bantams..

I could not decide between black, red pyle, or silver duck wing? My birds are currently roosting high up in a barn to avoid owls.... I have some 11 new eggs under one of my hens right now. You would recommend old English game?

I will have a couple dozen toppied shufflers in a couple months. They be games that can handle Ohio winters and certainly better than any bantams when hawks involved.
You would recommend I looking for toppied shufflers?... I'm not going to be on for a a while. They are closing stores down for this stupid virus .

Last edited:
I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the OEGBs because of their small size. Hawks will get on the ground and pace my OEGB coop they want the little OEGBs so bad. Maybe they could avoid the hawks. I can’t say. I won’t give them the chance. They’re expendable as far as I’m concerned. They lay and breed like insects. But I don’t want them mixing with my Cracker bantams uncontrolled as the eggs are indistinguishable (one reason I think OEGB factor into the background of my RJF crosses).

In time I’ll know whether my OEGB/RJFH crosses are worth a darn or not as American game bantams. Part of that will be their quality of free rangers in addition to conformation to the AGB standards. To my mind AGBs should be barnyard survivors. But for now, I can’t recommend them for crosses. They look the part of a tough, wild, wired, little bird. But their real survival skills are untested in my barnyard. I don’t think they’re great mothers compared to my Cracker bantams.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the OEGBs because of their small size. Hawks will get on the ground and pace my OEGB coop they want the little OEGBs so bad. Maybe they could avoid the hawks. I can’t say. I won’t give them the chance. They’re expendable as far as I’m concerned. They lay and breed like insects. But I don’t want them mixing with my Cracker bantams uncontrolled as the eggs are indistinguishable (one reason I think OEGB factor into the background of my RJF crosses).

In time I’ll know whether my OEGB/RJFH crosses are worth a darn or not as American game bantams. Part of that will be their quality of free rangers in addition to conformation to the AGB standards. To my mind AGBs should be barnyard survivors. But for now, I can’t recommend them for crosses. They look the part of a tough, wild, wired, little bird. But their real survival skills are untested in my barnyard. I don’t think they’re great mothers compared to my Cracker bantams.
thanks for the good advice! You guys are very knowledgeable .I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I did end up getting some game bantams because the kids really wanted them . I plan on keeping them locked up until they are older though. If I do let them free range I will keep a close eye on them.
Would you mind if I posted pictures of the new chicks?

You come and pick them up in the fall.

that's nice of you! I'll see if can find time to stop by.. If You want you can Pm me and let me know what state you are in. I can figure out details in the fall. I hesitate driving fare distances just because . But will make exceptions.
THanks.

thanks for the good advice! You guys are very knowledgeable .I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I did end up getting some game bantams because the kids really wanted them . I plan on keeping them locked up until they are older though. If I do let them free range I will keep a close eye on them.
Would you mind if I posted pictures of the new chicks?

Not at all. It makes sense with the thread. I’ll be posting pics of my OEGB/RJFH crosses if I get any.

Back
Top Bottom