Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
That's my favorite way to eat the yogurt, Miss Prissy. I simply drizzle it with honey and that's all it needs. Let me tell you, I have not liked yogurt for YEARS, largely due to it being the food of choice when my braces were tightened when I was a teen. But, now I not only enjoy it, I crave it!

I tried looking on the Internet for a recipe for goat cheese with honey, but this was the closest I could come up with:
http://www.recipezaar.com/135059
The one I had, had the honey mixed it, but this does sound yummy, too.

Please tell us how to use the whey to culture buttermilk. I think I see a new project in my future!

Now I need to figure out where I'm going to find some fresh milk here in the midst of the suburbs. . . .

Last edited:
Ok...one more question.....
Couldn't we look at the yogurt culture kinda like sourdough bread culture....once you make your dough (yogurt) you have your own culture....no need to buy more, just keep enough to make your next batch?
What do ya'll think?
Heather C
(who is as we speak making her first batch of yogurt!)

...I have another question.....should I have been stirring the milk while heating it? I heated it very slowly over a low low flame to 185, but I had a thin layer of milk "cooked" not burned to the botom of the pan? Is that normal? Anyway, all the yogurt is incubating in my cooler (7 1/2 pints)....so we shall see tomorrow if I did "OK"!!!!! My daughter is so excited....She helped wrap the jars up!
And at just under 60 cents a pint...wow, I can't buy yogurt for 30 cents and the stuff you can get fairly cheep is not good for you nor does it taste that good!....We are keeping our fingers crossed it turnes out!
Thank you for posting this thread,
Heather C

Heather, what is on the bottom of your pot is the cooked on milk proteins. Even heating the milk super slow will cause it. You can heat your milk in a double boiler and prevent that mess in the bottom of the pot.

Of course you can stir it. When I am busy (chasing after my 18 month old) I put mine in a double boiler on low heat and can walk away as needed and not worry that the milk will burn.

Thank you MissyP...at least I know I didn't do something wrong...LOL!.....I'll try the double boiler next time!
Thank you again,
Heather C.

Last edited:
well.....it's yogurt! And it isn't too bad plain...I'm not a plain yogurt fan either! I notice a little grainyness yet it was stiil creamy? Could possibly be the milk....plus it was the last jar filled....I'm making a strawberry topping for it right now and my daughter & I are going to try it!
Heather C

Back
Top Bottom