Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Sounds good to me! I have been making it plain because I am still over joyed with having so much fresh goats milk each day. The goats milk is sweeter than the cow milk, richer with a bit of a cream line. Alot of people think 'yuck, nasty goats' and I can't stress how wrong they are. Goats are clean fussy animals and the milk is gorgeous. If you can get the fresh goats milk you have to try it. It isn't as thick as the cow milk yogurt even when adding powdered milk but it is great tasting. I was thinking with my next batch I might try a bit of lemon extract and serve it as part of a dessert.

Backyard Buddies - We are on exact opposites of the country. You in Orange Co., Ca and I am in Orange Co., Va.

MissP -

I wish I could get the fresh milk here, of either kind, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to go about it. Sadly, my lot isn't zoned for cows or goats. Sure wish it was, tho.

Yes, we are on opposite ends of the country, aren't we? I fell in love with Virginia when I was there for a Washington, DC tour in fall 2005. I loved the people and the beauty of the state. You're lucky! (We have better weather, tho, so I guess there's a tradeoff.)

The new experiment appears to have worked well. The finished yogurt is very smooth and creamy. Next time I'll probably put even a little less of the creamer in there to mellow the taste even further. I'm enjoying it plain with a little honey drizzled on it, but the rest of the family likes it a little sweeter.

I just read this thread from beginning to end!

I haven't made yogurt since --well YEARS! and I did make goat cream cheese about two years ago.

I think I'll be making some soon. I also remember someone making yogurt in the microwave--I'll have to see if I can find the reference.

When making yogurt as a child, we just used lefover homemmade yogurt as the starter- but as I think about it, I think my mom bought yogurt every once in a while...so that must be the trick--must add new culture at least every once in a while!!!

I've always added my homemade jam to my plain yogurt just before eating it. I've also just added the sugar then when I felt I wanted it plain but sweet (takes a minute for the sugar to "melt"). I always thought of the jam as the equivalent of "fruit on the bottom" yogurt you can buy at the store. I have re-used those yogurt containers from the store bought yogurt to bring homemade yogurt for lunch (when I had an office to go to!!! I work from home now). I put the desired amount of jam on the bottom and then fill with yogurt--put on the lid and voila- homemade, flavored yogurt at work!

I am looking forward to seeing the mozzarella recipe. I'm originally from europe and LOVE the fresh mozz and tomato basil salad--and finding fresh mozz around here is difficult and expensive. I'm looking forward to my work season slowing down so I'll have time to make some!

Sandra

Sandra -

If I remember correctly, you're from Switzerland, right? I'm 1/4 Swiss and have family I visit there from time to time. If I'm correct about you being Swiss, I'll assume that you've had a LOT of yummy cheese over the years!

I agree, fresh mozz and tomato/basil salad is the best! I'm looking forward to that Mozz recipe!

Just have to post and let everyone know that I , after many, many gallons of milk, have finally made PERFECT yogurt!!! Can't wait for it to finish chilling. The chickens are going to miss their sometimes daily treat of curdled milk/sour cream or whatever it was that I was making!

A HUGE thank you to my yogurt mentor and new friend OzarkHen!!! Thanks for the encouragement! Cream cheese next and then mozzerela!! Success feels sooo good!

Donna

yes....you remember correctly.

As far as I'm concerned, there is not better place for dairy products than switzerland. Must be all that alpine grass!

One of my best memories is hiking in the alps and stopping at one of the farms to sleep over in their hay storage barn and breakfast (common thing there)...Fresh warm goat milk for breakfast! YUM! went to pet the goat afterwards and thank her.

I think I'm going to check on getting better milk for the cheese/yogurt than just the storebought. I drink ~2 gal/week myself...so I can't afford it for everything (yet).

Sandra

I had the pleasure of spending most of a summer in The Netherlands (Holland) - OMG - talk about great cheese! I brouht back so much cheese I could barely carry my luggage! One thing I still miss is Wednesday morning at the Center picking over tons of cheeses and evenings walking along the windmills.

That is so cool, Sandra! I've never done one of the alpine hikes, but the pictures I've seen from my family have amazed me. There's just something about the fresh food and dairy there, along with the clean air and plenty of exercise that just makes the people strong. My cousin's wife, who just passed away a few years ago in her 90s, rode her bicycle to the next town, about 2 miles away, almost daily to get fresh food. We've gone on local hikes with her and she would blow us out of the water!

And, yes. The dairy is amazing. Thinking about it is making me drool!

Yea!! Donna! Great Job, so glad you didn't give up! We are anxiously awaiting the mozz. recipe. I love the mozz./tomato/basil salad, yum. I love making my own pizza so this will be very exciting to make everything fresh.

Back
Top Bottom