Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

Quote:
Well, not exactly. Although, I'm not sure how I can tell if my milk is ultra pasteurized or not. Here is what the label says:

Grade A pasteurized, homogenized, Vitamin A & D added.

It's from cows not treated with rBST.

I can't tell from the label whether it'll work to make the cheese or not.

OK, I just did some reading up on this. As long as the milk isn't ultra pasteurized, it should work. However, because the milk is homogenized, it will need the addition of calcium chloride. An alternate suggestion is to use 1 part heavy cream to 7 parts of the milk, but most places simply recommend the calcium chloride.

Here's where I found the info:
http://www.leeners.com/cheesehow2.html

Thanks Shelly.

Well no room in my frige at the moment for a gallon of milk. Way to many eggs here. Guess time to hard boil up a few doz for the peeps.

I goofed and got the wrong stuff for the cheese, no tablets. So I am dead in the water for a bit.

ML

OK, I'm taking the laptop into the kitchen right now, to make mozzarella cheese. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I tried it once before, using just the directions that came with my kit, but I think I did something wrong because my whey wasn't clear like the whey from yogurt cheese, and the curds were like tiny pieces like cottage cheese, and I had a fit trying to get them all. Here goes!!!

Here is my cheese!
IMG_0798.jpg

It worked much better this time. Using the cheesecloth, I was able to catch every curd! And have half a gallon of whey. That stuff makes the BEST cornbread!

Probably so. I love her website. It's very relaxing to me, to go there and just read stuff. Lurking, like you said, Newchickenmom. It even just looks relaxing!

Back
Top Bottom