Homemade Yogurt **Updated** Cheese and Buttermilk

It worked great!!! It's kinda sour, so I think I left it in a bit long, so nest time I'll check it sooner, but it's still really good! Will def make more!!!!

It worked great!!! It's kinda sour, so I think I left it in a bit long, so nest time I'll check it sooner, but it's still really good! Will def make more!!!!
I think it is 8 hrs for the least tart yogurt. That was what a previous poster stated, he and his family have made it from scratch for generations.

Ok, I've got the stuff in the incubator! We'll see how it turns out...hopefully I did it right and I will have yummy yogurt in the morning!
That was ingenious, making it in an incubator. I don't have an incubator, but wonder if I could get the right temps w/ my cookie tin water heater??? I have been having trouble w/ consistant low enough temps w/o being to low. I didn't want to have to go buy another appliance b/c of the extra money, but more b/c of a lack of space and a tiny kitchen.

I have a question about making cheese......I made a batch of mozzerella from the instructions on page 25. It turned out really good for a first time. My question is....the left over milk after I took out the curds was really white/creamy looking still. It didn't look clear at all (or gold). Did I do something wrong? Should I have let it set longer?...I had to let it set about 2 hours to separate out in the first place. I used raw goats milk......

Wow, this was like reading a very interesting book. I love the recipes for yoghurt, my daughter makes it for us and I share our eggs with her. When I find the time, I do want to try it myself. I have kefir grains and make a couple batches of that a week, yum to that. I love to drink it after I strain the grains out. I also just started making kombucha and water kefir. This is a whole new world to me, and boy is it fun! Thanks everyone for all the info!

I probably should read more that two posts before replying, but I make yogurt about 3 times a month. When I started out about a year and a half ago I kept very detailed records of incubation temperatures, times, and the ingredients that I used. I haven't found much difference in tartness due to incubation's time (but I probably don't have the most refined sense of taste either). I have gone as short as 4 hours and as long as 12 hours. I have noticed a difference in tartness due to yogurt starter type and sugar amount. :) I have found that 3 table spoons sugar to a 1/2 gallon milk is my favorite balance to the tartness of the whey. I also like to use yogurt from a previous batch of home made yogurt. I find the flavor is a little too bland when I use store bought starter. After several successive batches of recycling home made yogurt st the starter you can get a sour flavor too so I usually put starter from the first batch in ice cube trays so that I am stocked up for several months and don't get off flavored yogurt by it sitting in the refrigerator over those months of time.

I have got my best results using 1/2 gallon milk 2% milk, 1/3 cup powdered milk, 3 table spoons sugar, heated up to 190 deg F, cooled to 125 deg when starter is added (2 table spoons starter fresh or from ice cube trays), and then incubated at 110 def F for 6-8 hours.

P.S. If you have a Reptipro 5000 egg Incubator that hasn't been used to hatch poultry eggs this works really good for the incubation. :)

I have made many many batches of this delicious yogurt in the past and it never failed. Thank You, Miss Prissy.

Question to all you "yogurt makers": I have normally used whole milk or the 2% milk and added the milk powder to get a thicker consistency in the yogurt. A friend now was asking about the 0% fat milk and that her yogurt always turns out very thin. So I tried the 1% myself the same way I always made it in the past and it turned out to be very thin yogurt as well compared to what I had in the past, but still yummy. So does the fat content impact the consistency and if so, would I just add more milk powder?
Yes... I saw a reference once that had suggestions for how much powder milk to use for different % milk. I have tried 1% and skim milk yogurt, but the texture isn't as smooth. You end up replacing long stringy protein molecules for the globulous fat molecules to get the consistency back which results in a lumpier texture. I would start at about 1/3 more powder milk for 1% as 2% milk (and experiment to get results you like).

For low fat yogurt you also might trying straining the whey to get a Greek Yogurt. That seems the best way to go for the low-fat variety. If it is too thick add skim or 1% milk back in for the amount of whey you removed and mix. The Greek Yogurt is the only stuff I make that my wife says she would pay money to buy. :)

Last edited:
P.S. If you have a Reptipro 5000 egg Incubator that hasn't been used to hatch poultry eggs this works really good for the incubation. :)

Why not if it's been used to hatch eggs? The yogurt is in sealed jars, nothing can get in...

One of the design details for my incubator is that a quart jar must fit inside! I have all the parts, when it cools off again maybe we'll finally put it together. It will probably get used for yogurt more than it does for hatching eggs.

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom