Homesteaders

Pics
He just turned 5 in November, and its has only started in the last 2 months or so. It's just frustrating, because some of his friends' parents will make 2 dinners, sometimes 3 because their boys are very picky and I feel like he has decided he wants their meal set up more because I have him try new things, and if he likes them great, if not that's fine. But now he is just refusing the basic stuff, hoping for the foods that I put on my "NO BUY" list, just because they are on it. He even told a lady yesterday that candy "isn't healthy" so it shouldn't have been in the snack that was provided at the library. Am I pushing the healthy part too far? He gets junk food, smaller amount then before, but now it's made at home and not bought from a store; and very little candy has always been a rule, and only on good behavior(which includes asking for it). I'm sorry just freaking out a little bit, I am the only parent in my family that believes in gardens and no pop, little amounts of candy, and making instead of buying. The pressure is getting to me. I just need to breathe like you said Rancher. So thank you for your advise, I guess a banana and pears will be his lunch, since that's what he has decided, and plain rice for dinner with circle eggs(boiled eggs), and the cats will be happy since he feeds them the yolks. He really wants pancakes, papa eggs(fried eggs), bacon and sausage; but that's not going to happen since I am out of bacon, pancake mix and sausage. Off to the doctor we go I guess, then to buy our baby Christmas tree.

If this is as serious a concern to you, you really should take him to a pediatrician. He would be able to find out if there was any concerns health wise, and be able to allay your concerns.

Setting down and talking with him about why he is doing this, explaining your concern and desire to make him something he enjoys would probably be fruitful.

In all honesty, if the doctor says he's not in any health concern and you aren't able to tease a reason out of him I would personally let him know that you would like to make him food he likes but unless he's going to help you will be making what you make.

Aside from those options, you say your controlling his food intake. I know when u was a kid and had money in my pocket I would buy what I would want... weather it was school pizza, candy or junk from a corner store or ice cream truck.

I just can't seem to fathom a kid given tons of options wouldn't eat anything at all unless there was either sneaking or a health concern. I would definitely at least contact an advice nurse at your local med center.

He just turned 5 in November, and its has only started in the last 2 months or so. It's just frustrating, because some of his friends' parents will make 2 dinners, sometimes 3 because their boys are very picky and I feel like he has decided he wants their meal set up more because I have him try new things, and if he likes them great, if not that's fine. But now he is just refusing the basic stuff, hoping for the foods that I put on my "NO BUY" list, just because they are on it. He even told a lady yesterday that candy "isn't healthy" so it shouldn't have been in the snack that was provided at the library. Am I pushing the healthy part too far? He gets junk food, smaller amount then before, but now it's made at home and not bought from a store; and very little candy has always been a rule, and only on good behavior(which includes asking for it). I'm sorry just freaking out a little bit, I am the only parent in my family that believes in gardens and no pop, little amounts of candy, and making instead of buying. The pressure is getting to me. I just need to breathe like you said Rancher. So thank you for your advise, I guess a banana and pears will be his lunch, since that's what he has decided, and plain rice for dinner with circle eggs(boiled eggs), and the cats will be happy since he feeds them the yolks. He really wants pancakes, papa eggs(fried eggs), bacon and sausage; but that's not going to happen since I am out of bacon, pancake mix and sausage. Off to the doctor we go I guess, then to buy our baby Christmas tree.

Oh I remember my son at five and my girls too. Just be patient, and stick to your guns. As I said put on the table some things he likes and things you want him to try.

My guess is if he's in school he's experiencing some peer pressure even at his young age. "My friends mom's give them this, why can't I have it". We all want to fit in. If he's not a leader type then it's doubly hard on you. Like I said just stick to your guns. Give him some things that he likes healthy and what ever you'd like him to have.

I serve lunch twice a week at my kids old school and I see it every day. If the leader buys soup then his friends will buy soup. Then we have the kid who buys lunch but eats none of it.
barnie.gif
I get apples and oranges that the kids are served but never touch. Whole cartons of milk. We make salads they order and they eat the tuna off the top and leave the rest.

As for the parents who make two and three dinners? This will carry on through out the kids life thinking he can have whatever he wants and when he's a teenager I see suspensions from school.

Discipline is motivating a child toward a more positive behavior. You're a good mom, hold your head up and don't give in to the peer pressure you feel. I thought it ended when I became an adult, but it is not so.

Take care,

Rancher

If this is as serious a concern to you, you really should take him to a pediatrician. He would be able to find out if there was any concerns health wise, and be able to allay your concerns.

Setting down and talking with him about why he is doing this, explaining your concern and desire to make him something he enjoys would probably be fruitful.

In all honesty, if the doctor says he's not in any health concern and you aren't able to tease a reason out of him I would personally let him know that you would like to make him food he likes but unless he's going to help you will be making what you make.

Aside from those options, you say your controlling his food intake. I know when u was a kid and had money in my pocket I would buy what I would want... weather it was school pizza, candy or junk from a corner store or ice cream truck.

I just can't seem to fathom a kid given tons of options wouldn't eat anything at all unless there was either sneaking or a health concern. I would definitely at least contact an advice nurse at your local med center.

I won't argue with this. If the doc says there are no health concerns then carry on. Given a choice of eating or going hungry kids will eat something.

Went to his Doctor appointment and got informed it was moved to end of next month, so I shall see what the doc says then. Guess I will just try what you guys have said. He isn't in school yet, but we used to go to a friends house a lot and they would play for the morning, and have lunch together before that child went to school. He is cracking peanuts as I type and had a banana for lunch. So at least it is healthy stuff. He does sneak stuff, mostly candy and stuff he knows he is not supposed to have, which gets him in trouble, but as long as it is an apple or something along that line I don't really tell him no unless it's within 2 hours of dinner. So thanks again everyone, I shall call his doctor when he gets off of vacation.

Hang in there Raech! You are doing a good job - parenting is the toughest job in the world (& I'm not a 'human' parent). In my job every day I see kids that are spoiled, don't want this/that, won't/don't/ can't! These kids are usually disappointed when they reach 'real life' because they have never had to compromise, or the parents never said 'no' and meant it.... as long as he's healthy, energetic and engaged, he's probably ok. Sue

Went to his Doctor appointment and got informed it was moved to end of next month, so I shall see what the doc says then. Guess I will just try what you guys have said. He isn't in school yet, but we used to go to a friends house a lot and they would play for the morning, and have lunch together before that child went to school. He is cracking peanuts as I type and had a banana for lunch. So at least it is healthy stuff. He does sneak stuff, mostly candy and stuff he knows he is not supposed to have, which gets him in trouble, but as long as it is an apple or something along that line I don't really tell him no unless it's within 2 hours of dinner. So thanks again everyone, I shall call his doctor when he gets off of vacation.

Judging from what you're telling us he sounds pretty normal and that's a good thing.

Last edited:
Hang in there Raech! You are doing a good job - parenting is the toughest job in the world (& I'm not a 'human' parent). In my job every day I see kids that are spoiled, don't want this/that, won't/don't/ can't! These kids are usually disappointed when they reach 'real life' because they have never had to compromise, or the parents never said 'no' and meant it.... as long as he's healthy, energetic and engaged, he's probably ok. Sue
Oh trust me Sue, he is energetic...the bunny has less energy than he does.
bun.gif
This is his favorite dance move by the way. We got our tree!!!! We spent $40 on it, but it will last forever, and replace one that has died, so I call it a good price. It's a Colorado Blue Spruce and is only 3 feet tall but so cute! I wonder if I could get the little starts like they used to hand out for elementary classes on Earth Day?

Oh trust me Sue, he is energetic...the bunny has less energy than he does.
bun.gif
This is his favorite dance move by the way. We got our tree!!!! We spent $40 on it, but it will last forever, and replace one that has died, so I call it a good price. It's a Colorado Blue Spruce and is only 3 feet tall but so cute! I wonder if I could get the little starts like they used to hand out for elementary classes on Earth Day?

I remember when I worked in the middle east, we were not allowed to celebrate Christmas - couldn't find anything to do with Christmas in the stores............so we got inventive. We made our own paper chains, stars out of paper mache, tree, decorations and an angel choir! We had so much fun exercising our imagination!! I think that was one of my best Christmases!!
smile.png

My 13 year old still hasn't outgrown his pickiness. But I have always done just what mot others have said. I give hime 2 or 3 bites of what he doesn't like & load up what he does like. The few bites are MANDATORY!

Back
Top Bottom