Homesteaders

Pics
Great insight guys! Sadly I do not have a fireplace ! :( Though it's probably a good thing as the people who built my house back in the day were apparetly insane! Sheesh some of the things we have dealt with! I think safety wise a fireplace is what I'm leaning towards but if it was just my husband and I then I would go for the kind that sits out in the floor for cost purposes. Has anyone had a fireplace completely built?

I guess it's a moot point right now anyways as our water heater started shooting out water last night! In not even five mins time (from the time I threw a load in the dryer and walked past the closet until the time I went to let the dog in the back door) I had at least two inches of water in my laundry room floor! Pouring out from under the door. I start screaming my head off for my hubby open the door and water is spraying out the top of the stupid thing so hard that I couldn't even tell where it was spraying from! After shutting off the water and the electric (yep so not a good idea to stand in that much water with wet appliances and outlets!!) I think my water heater is shot along with the dry wall in that closet! Ugh if it rains it pours (literally) I swear.

Great insight guys! Sadly I do not have a fireplace !
sad.png
Though it's probably a good thing as the people who built my house back in the day were apparetly insane! Sheesh some of the things we have dealt with! I think safety wise a fireplace is what I'm leaning towards but if it was just my husband and I then I would go for the kind that sits out in the floor for cost purposes. Has anyone had a fireplace completely built?

I guess it's a moot point right now anyways as our water heater started shooting out water last night! In not even five mins time (from the time I threw a load in the dryer and walked past the closet until the time I went to let the dog in the back door) I had at least two inches of water in my laundry room floor! Pouring out from under the door. I start screaming my head off for my hubby open the door and water is spraying out the top of the stupid thing so hard that I couldn't even tell where it was spraying from! After shutting off the water and the electric (yep so not a good idea to stand in that much water with wet appliances and outlets!!) I think my water heater is shot along with the dry wall in that closet! Ugh if it rains it pours (literally) I swear.

I am sorry for your trouble for sure.

Sorry to hear about the water heater, those kind of problems always happened when my DH was away for the weekend.

We have two Quadra Fire wood stoves. Gotta love them - very efficient. The Blaze King brand are a little more efficient, but I think they are butt-ugly. Woodstoves are more efficient than fireplaces, meaning you will get more heat off a woodstove than a fireplace - a lot of heat goes up the chimney with a fireplace. Some of the newer inserts can be pretty efficient, but they are usually the ones that are built more like a woodstove and stick out into the room a little bit. I would love to have a Soapstone woodstove!

We had to install outside air intake to help them draw correctly - we have issues because of our altitude (7400 feet) and some funcky high/low pressure fronts that come through. DH installed a gate from a shop dust collection system so we can "shut off" the outside air on days like today - 35 mph winds with 50+ gusts.

If you are worried about little kids, you can make a screen system to "fence" the kids back. I grew up with a franklin stove heating our familyroom and kids will learn to stay away from the stove when they live with the thing 24/7. Our neighbors dad built a mini-wall with a gate to keep his kids and dog away from their woodstove. It was nice stained lumber framing and had chicken wire stapled to the back of it and spray painted black. It let the heat through, but kept the kids from getting burned or playing with the firewood.

It finally snowed!!!
wee.gif

It's not much but it is a dusting of white, and I am so excited and the boys are thrilled to see white because that means that they might be able to make a snowman, not this time but soon. First thing I did was make today a jammie day, just so my car will stay white longer, all the roads are clear so it doesn't really matter, but I just like to look at it. Then I took out the garbage so I had a moment to myself to enjoy it, then went running back inside to start the coffee pot.
caf.gif
Oh and today is National Apple Pie Day, so we all have to make/eat apple pie. Just a little tidbit for ya.

Have a beautiful winter day all.
big_smile.png

It finally snowed!!!
wee.gif

It's not much but it is a dusting of white, and I am so excited and the boys are thrilled to see white because that means that they might be able to make a snowman, not this time but soon. First thing I did was make today a jammie day, just so my car will stay white longer, all the roads are clear so it doesn't really matter, but I just like to look at it. Then I took out the garbage so I had a moment to myself to enjoy it, then went running back inside to start the coffee pot.
caf.gif
Oh and today is National Apple Pie Day, so we all have to make/eat apple pie. Just a little tidbit for ya.

big_smile.png

Hey - lucky you! We have had a melt already so the snow we had is gone
sad.png
It was starting to look ski-able too, Sue

It finally snowed!!!
wee.gif

caf.gif

big_smile.png

Well I'm praying for one more day of good weather. I've got a couple of more things to do, but I'm very busy and tomorrow will have the grandkids and when they're here nothing gets done.
lol.png
They're 3yr, and 4wks. The 4wk mostly sleeps and me and the 3yr old play.
lol.png

Just got home from groceries and my volunteer job so I'm exhausted. Though I'm never to tired for the king and queen.

Well I'm praying for one more day of good weather. I've got a couple of more things to do, but I'm very busy and tomorrow will have the grandkids and when they're here nothing gets done.
lol.png
They're 3yr, and 4wks. The 4wk mostly sleeps and me and the 3yr old play.
lol.png

Just got home from groceries and my volunteer job so I'm exhausted. Though I'm never to tired for the king and queen.

Looks like you might get your wish Rancher - weatherman gives us a couple of days grace......Sue

Temperatures here have been in the 60's the last two days. Hard to believe that overnight it's supposed to drop and turn to ice and snow! Then it will continue to drop.... Brrrr..... Right now it's raining steadily.

Back
Top Bottom