Hoop coop build on a hill - construction progress thread

View attachment 3465727

North Elevation - the board that the plastic is screwed to is roughly level, there is approximately 8” height difference between the front and the back on this side.

View attachment 3465729

South elevation - its harder to see because the bedding inside has already migrated significantly, but in the back corner (left side when looking at picture) there is almost 14” span between the actual ground and the bottom of the level board that the plastic is attached to

View attachment 3465731

Front elevation - is an optical illusion in this picture due to extra buildup of some wood chips on the left side of the picture, but the board was within an inch of level when sat on the ground across the front, so we just went with it.

Overall I’m pretty pleased with it. As suspected, the bedding is heavily migrating towards the lowest point, and is been nice to not lose 10+” off bedroom on that side of the coop. I’m eagerly awaiting tree trimming season here so that I can get more free wood chips to finish filling it enough to keep the bedding from migrating as much as it is.

And here is a picture of the back of the coop…they pop door will be just 2-3” off the floor inside the coop once all the bedding migrates.

View attachment 3465733

Looking great!

I slow down the migration of bedding in my big coop by putting some logs across the slope at convenient points.

Looking great!

I slow down the migration of bedding in my big coop by putting some logs across the slope at convenient points.
I thought of your coop when I started planning to do this one, but figured with my luck I’d just be tripping over logs all the time 😂 — so that’s when I realized if I just put the frame level above ground I can let the bedding migrate to its hearts content and eventually it will be level and stop migrating.

However, once I get more free wood chips I am totally dragging some logs into the run to be able to stop migration there and get a good layer of wood chips down in the front half of the run, especially around the feeders and where the waterer will go.

I thought of your coop when I started planning to do this one, but figured with my luck I’d just be tripping over logs all the time 😂 — so that’s when I realized if I just put the frame level above ground I can let the bedding migrate to its hearts content and eventually it will be level and stop migrating.

However, once I get more free wood chips I am totally dragging some logs into the run to be able to stop migration there and get a good layer of wood chips down in the front half of the run, especially around the feeders and where the waterer will go.

I stumbled over them until they settled into the bedding. Now I have shallow terraces.

Back
Top Bottom