Hoop Coop in TX, I think it might have been a bad idea

I haven't read all of the responses, but my first thought is that 102 degrees isn't even as high as a chicken's body temperature, so the situation was not dire. Yes, when the summer turns up the heat, your proactive modifications will be important.

I was thinking about leaving the tarp on and cementing 4 posts on the outside of the coop and getting a shade sail that blocks 95% uv rays and hanging it above the coop, so it would look like having a canopy over the coop. Maybe that will help?
That’s actually what I was thinking when I was reading another’s suggestion for shade cloth — doing a shade sail above the hoop house would probably help keep the temp down. (And raising your cover a bit to let some breeze through at the bottom.)
Im also a big fan of growing small trees/bushes in large pots to help create instant yet somewhat movable shade.

That’s actually what I was thinking when I was reading another’s suggestion for shade cloth — doing a shade sail above the hoop house would probably help keep the temp down. (And raising your cover a bit to let some breeze through at the bottom.)
Im also a big fan of growing small trees/bushes in large pots to help create instant yet somewhat movable shade.
You would be amazed at the difference even a few young trees can make.

The easiest and cheapest way In can think of resolving this is making a second and large tarp enclosure to surround that one. Leave at least a foot of space between them.
The second enclosure will protect the first one from the sun's rays and the space will allow the air to circulate. Make sure that it is open on two ends.
We are going to do something like that. We bought a sunshade. We are cementing 4x4s and we are going to secure the shade to it probably a foot above the coop. It will extent out past the coop a little bit. Hopefully this will help a lot. We should get it done by this weekend hopefully if we have days without rain. I will post pics once we get it done.
Thanks for responding.

I wish we could add plants. We have goats so that puts a damper on some of that. We are going to plant trees at some point. We just have to come up with a way to keep the goats away while they grow, or find some that are tall enough that they cannot eat all the leaves off.

I found some big tree today that they would not be able to reach but I would still put a cage to keep them from leaning against the tree. They would use it as a scratchin' post.
They may also eat the bark. We just helped a friend cut down a completely dead tree that had died due to goats having access to it and removing bark. It was a decently large/older tree too. So, basically, a fence of some sort to protect any trees from the goat.

Heat and chickens: glad you’ll be putting up shade cloth. We are in Ohio, but south side of the run gets HOT, so we plant vining things to shade. I’ll recommend birdhouse gourd (easy to find) bc they have large leaves and provide nice cool shade. Keep chickens from accessing the vines/roots, but if they eat any wayward leaves it is fine as the gourd plant is edible snd harmless. Use fencing or cattle panels. But, last year we used “Hyacinth bean vine” for shade. Worked great, very pretty. The beans are not good to eat as is (technically human edible with certain preparation, but beans generally aren’t good for birds to eat raw as I understand it- like the shelling beans:dried beans, but the HBV didn’t drop its bean pods until completely dead/dried, so not an issue I don’t think.

Otherwise, I provide wet feed to my flock once their run is in the shade at around 2 pm. -I add cold water and stir, then push large ice cubes into the wet feed to melt over a period of time. They love it and helps to keep them hydrated.

Some people wet the ground in a shady spot for them to make dust baths. Others make large ice cubes and let them melt in a shallow pan, the hens walk on and through the ice/cold water to help cool off and drink the cold water.

Finally got it done

Attachments

• 20230520_184930.jpg
    20230520_184930.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230520_184916.jpg
    20230520_184916.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom