Hoop Coop in TX, I think it might have been a bad idea

Yikes! What color is your tarp? Silver or white will be more reflective of heat but it sounds like your going to want to add a layer of insulation material. Flattened cardboard sandwiched under the tarp could help some if your budget it tight. Otherwise I’d say look for some form of flexible insulation and sandwich it so the birds don’t have access to pick at it.

Also if the tarp is going all the the way down to the bottom of the coop you could raise it so there’s ventilation from the bottom.
Hello BYC flock, I live in Middle Tennessee and I also have a hoop coop, nearly the same set up as you described, Here’s my solution, I took off one layer of tarp and used bungee cords to fasten the sides up so now basically I only have about 1/4 of the coop is covered and It’s super airy and they seem to love it… This fall I will close everything back up, 👍

Hello BYC flock, I live in Middle Tennessee and I also have a hoop coop, nearly the same set up as you described, Here’s my solution, I took off one layer of tarp and used bungee cords to fasten the sides up so now basically I only have about 1/4 of the coop is covered and It’s super airy and they seem to love it… This fall I will close everything back up, 👍
I
Furthermore The 1/4 of the coop i left covered, with a silver colored tarp it shades the roost area and the food and water…otherwise it’s cool and airy.

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating old info.

Many years ago, my dad helped me reroof (metal panels) my house. He told me to get white. (California heat.)

Not wanting to blind myself, I bought off-white, or an eggshell shade.
When he arrived, he told me to put my hand on a piece of white metal he had with him and one hand on the off-white that I'd purchased.

The off-white nearly burned my hand while the white was easy to touch.

All of that to say, have you considered using a white tarp for the roof to reflect the heat off the hoop house?

https://www.amazon.com/GUARD-SHIELD...ywords=white+tarps&qid=1684632999&sr=8-3&th=1

I didn't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating old info.

Many years ago, my dad helped me reroof (metal panels) my house. He told me to get white. (California heat.)

Not wanting to blind myself, I bought off-white, or an eggshell shade.
When he arrived, he told me to put my hand on a piece of white metal he had with him and one hand on the off-white that I'd purchased.

The off-white nearly burned my hand while the white was easy to touch.

All of that to say, have you considered using a white tarp for the roof to reflect the heat off the hoop house?

https://www.amazon.com/GUARD-SHIELD-Heavy-Purpose-Waterproof/dp/B0974KT55L/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=white+tarps&qid=1684632999&sr=8-3&th=1
Great suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom