Hoop Run

Thank you! It functions even better than it looks! We just added a chick brooder to the inside so it's serving double duty.

Blooie can you tell me what you used to put this together? I have an electric fence for ground predators but am now dealing with a hawk...someone suggested a hoop run and I found yours. I need info on the materials you used. What size is this and what was the rough cost to put together? Is it just latice panels or are those over something else. Info appreciated, thanks!

Rather than try to explain it all again, I think you might like to look at the hows (with more and better pictures) that are posted here. Just click on "My Coop" under my avatar and scroll down past the construction of the coop until you get to the run. Initially we used 3 cattle panels which were about $22.00 each. Those were wired to 4 steel fence posts pounded into the ground. We had those on hand, but they're probably just a few bucks each. Our biggest expenses were the chicken wire that covers the entire structure and the hardware cloth skirt and apron around the bottom. Prices for that vary so much depending on where you get them.

The lattice can be added anytime and it's totally optional. We just picked a couple of them up when we went up to Billings each time and they run about $20.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. Glad you like it - we sure do!

We used the cattle panel and paid $18.99 on a sale weekend @ our TSC (Tractor Supply Company) per panel. I bought a large box of the fence staples to put them on - the ones not used for the chicken coops will be used on fence posts for more fencing for the ponies.

The chicken wire was also purchased on sale + w/ a friend who had a military discount... I no longer have the receipt, but you can price out many items via internet from TSC, Lowe's, Home Depot and other farm/agrisupply stores to decide how you want to pay for yours. Prices may vary from online prices due to shipping to those states or location w/i your state.

Have no idea what we paid for all the zip ties - hubby got them thru Amazon Prime - in black, white, green and in colors... We used a lot!! I know we ordered/bought more than once, so I'd say more then 300 per coop.

We used 2x6s for our first one, and 2x4s for the 2nd one. That's for the base. You could also use PVC or aluminum pipe (like for chain link fencing - Craigs list can be your friend. Another friend just got over 500' of BEAUTIFUL chain link in GREAT condition for free from a school taking it down to redo the fencing in another way - she just had to get there and help take it down FIRST. Luckily she found it on a day she wasn't working). Many different ways that you can do the front and back, w/ or w/o a door and the cost would vary due to what you build.

Last edited:
Rather than try to explain it all again, I think you might like to look at the hows (with more and better pictures) that are posted here. Just click on "My Coop" under my avatar and scroll down past the construction of the coop until you get to the run. Initially we used 3 cattle panels which were about $22.00 each. Those were wired to 4 steel fence posts pounded into the ground. We had those on hand, but they're probably just a few bucks each. Our biggest expenses were the chicken wire that covers the entire structure and the hardware cloth skirt and apron around the bottom. Prices for that vary so much depending on where you get them.

The lattice can be added anytime and it's totally optional. We just picked a couple of them up when we went up to Billings each time and they run about $20.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. Glad you like it - we sure do!
Thanks so much for the info!!! I'm not sure I'll need the hardware cloth since the perimeter has an electric fence which has proven very effective thus far. The main concern is aerial predators at this time of year over the winter before all the trees, bushes and plants grow back in. I think I could get away with something less "secure" since they would likely be free ranging with loads of natural cover as they did this summer. Going to put up a hoop run next week and in the meantime I've reduced the perimeter to 200 feet with obstacles and shelters strewn about the yard - I look like a recycling center at the moment...lol. Lockdown made them absolutely miserable so hopefully this will do until the hoop goes up. Scare tape on top of torch lamps is going up today - those are scattered around the yard as well to serve as obstacles and deterrents in the meantime. This forum is the best for gathering information and feedback ~ many thanks to everyone!!!

Some one else had posted about using either clothes line or fishing line strung from a high point out to perimeter fencing or posts to guard against aerial predators. I haven't tried that yet myself, but it won't be long...

I'm highly interested in this style of run. I've been reading about hoop coops and winter and have been a little worried.... How do you prep your coop/run to handle snow? I'm in Denver so a pretty mild winter but we did get one snowstorm that was a for this year (that has happened in 7 years but it does happen!) Any ideas? Hope does your hip handle snow?

Hi,
I'm highly interested in this style of run. I've been reading about hoop coops and winter and have been a little worried.... How do you prep your coop/run to handle snow? I'm in Denver so a pretty mild winter but we did get one snowstorm that was a for this year (that has happened in 7 years but it does happen!) Any ideas? Hope does your hip handle snow?
I'm in Maine and although this was a mild winter the hoop withstood snow, sleet and ice without any issues at all. I have a heavy duty white tarp over mine so the snow just slides off it - a few heavy wet snows stuck and I just took a broom to it - doesn't take much to get even heavy snow to slide off since the hoop frame is rounded. You'll have no issues - the cattle panels are strong and I've got a 2-4 support beam that runs the length of the hoop at the top. I expect the hoop run to last through many winters...simple, easy design and a great wind and rain barrier. Snow is not an issue at all.

Great info my snowy people's. I appreciate it. I think we will be going with cattle panel and staked hoop run. It sounds like a great idea. Now we have to figure out how to get our way heavy second hand chip over a4 ft fence..... We will figure it out!

We haven't had any heavy snow since we built the coops here in NC, but we have had over an 1" in ICE when we had freezing rain this past January. I just used a flat shovel to bang on the ice and it cascaded off of the shelter. I thought about leaving it and have in the past, bu we were expecting a lot more freezing rain and I didn't want to chance it becoming to heavy and "squashing" the cheeps that were in the coops. All are fine!

Back
Top Bottom