Horrible news

PharmGirl

Chirping
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Weston, WV
Unfortunately my girls and roo passed away last Sunday. I had a heat light in their coop the temps here have been in the single digits. It somehow got pulled from the wall and started a fire in the floor of my coop and they all passed. I am SOOOOO heart broken and haven't been able to go to the coop since. I will hopefully be able to get over this and get another batch of chicks, it is just very hard right now, I miss them so much. This is the only place I feel comfortable venting and people won't judge me because they are "just chickens". Hope everyone's chicks are well and keep a close eye on them and let them know you love 'em!
hmm.png

Stephanie heart broken in WV

No, from the outside you can't even tell anything happened. I think they passed from smoke and maybe just the straw and pine shavings were on fire. Like I said I haven't been out there yet to check the inside of the coop yet. I was at work my poor husband had to get them. Thanks for your kind words.

How horrible! You were simply trying to help your birds-like all of us would do-and ended up doing more harm. So very sorry.

Yeah, the light was in there for probably 3 weeks and had done fine. I even checked it that morning before going to work when I gave them warm water and some scratch for the day. I really miss them. Who would have thought chickens would be such great pets!!! They would have been a year in April.

At least the coop didn't burn down. You can rebuild your flock, you have the technology. You can make them better than before.

That's so heartbreaking!! I'm so sorry. I almost burned down my coop once when I (stupidly) had a heat lamp warming the floor of the coop on a really cold night. It burnt a hole in the floor of the nesting box, and if we hadn't gotten up early that morning, they would have all been toast. I don't heat my chickens anymore. They have feathers and each other and they will do just fine.

Yeah, I will either permanately mount a light on the upper rafter pointed toward the roost or none at all. It was jsut so cold and I was worried about their combs.

Back
Top Bottom