Horse Help

Delaneygraces

Certified Procrastinator
5 Years
Jan 14, 2018
Illinois
Hello! I’ve been having troubles with my Quarter horse and loading into a trailer, and would love some advice/ideas!
First, He (23 year old Gelding) will walk right into the trailer, with no problems. He backs out perfectly, and is overly good at this part. But as soon as we take off driving, he turns into an idiot. He won’t stand still, even when we park, and dancing around in what small space he has, and paws constantly. He doesn’t make any noise, and has never fallen. What worries me/upsets me, is that when we get him out of the traler, he is DRENCHED I sweat! This is especially annoying when we are hauling to a show! But I’m also worried about dehydration, or other harm from sweating so much.
The trailer has plenty of airflow. Our other horse never has problems.
What makes this so unusual, is that despite being so afraid for some reason while on the trailer, he loads PERFECTLY. You’d think if he had a bad experience or were scared, he wouldn’t load?
Could it be separation anxiety? He runs loose (no stall, has open barn with shelter) with our mare, and they are VERY close. But he doesn’t holler for her, a little when we leave, but not once we get back. He also doesn’t seem to miss her once we unload him once we’ve arrived elsewhere.

Any ideas of what’s causing this behavior? Thank you!!

Hello! I’ve been having troubles with my Quarter horse and loading into a trailer, and would love some advice/ideas!
First, He (23 year old Gelding) will walk right into the trailer, with no problems. He backs out perfectly, and is overly good at this part. But as soon as we take off driving, he turns into an idiot. He won’t stand still, even when we park, and dancing around in what small space he has, and paws constantly. He doesn’t make any noise, and has never fallen. What worries me/upsets me, is that when we get him out of the traler, he is DRENCHED I sweat! This is especially annoying when we are hauling to a show! But I’m also worried about dehydration, or other harm from sweating so much.
The trailer has plenty of airflow. Our other horse never has problems.
What makes this so unusual, is that despite being so afraid for some reason while on the trailer, he loads PERFECTLY. You’d think if he had a bad experience or were scared, he wouldn’t load?
Could it be separation anxiety? He runs loose (no stall, has open barn with shelter) with our mare, and they are VERY close. But he doesn’t holler for her, a little when we leave, but not once we get back. He also doesn’t seem to miss her once we unload him once we’ve arrived elsewhere.

Any ideas of what’s causing this behavior? Thank you!!
My first suggestion would be to check with your vet. If there is nothing physically wrong with him the. It might be anxiety. They might have a pill that you can give him that reduces his anxiety if that is the issue.

We had a horse that stumbled around in the horse trailer but that was because he was always falling asleep and corners would make him lose his balance.

Back
Top Bottom