Horse misbehaves

FluffyPuff

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
In my coop with my chicks!
Hi I have a grumpy OLD horse named Bella. I love her color and the good side to her personality but when it's time to ride, forget it! I've tried respect training after going to a Clinton Anderson show but the problem is I don't see her often. I can only see her on weekends. I need advice on what to do to improve her behavior! As soon as I hop on she throws her head and when I try to walk she trots and then won't stop! She's hard to control since I'm not very strong. I'm a beginner and this is my first horse. My parents thought it would be a good idea to get an older horse since they are usually calm and experienced. This horse is actually an ex-jumper and has won national championships, so she's not new to any of the basic things I ask her to do. I can't get another horse and she's too old for breeding plus I'm pretty attached to her. She's 21. If it helps any she's a quarter horse-thoroughbred mix. Any training advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S Im only wanting her to be a trail rider with the capability to run occasionally.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really need a trainer. I know it sounds expensive, but rack up a few hospital bills and that trainer will look cheap
wink.png

An ex-jumper may not be the best first horse for a beginner. An older trail horse with miles under it would be a better choice. You may think you're attached to her, but sounds like she'd be happier with a more experienced rider, and I think you'd be amazed how much happier you would be with a trustworthy, push-button partner.

Seriously, how strong you are doesn't matter one bit. Any horse is stronger than a human, so it's never a physical contest. You're smarter than they are, that's where you have to win. You have to be dominant and just make her think you're the boss. Right now she's the boss and it sounds like she knows it.

What do you do when you first get on her? She has to listen to you right from the start. You say you get on and she throws her head. What's the first thing you do after you get on? Sounds like she's either anticipating a strong cue to move, or getting her mouth bumped. Don't do either. Just get on her and sit there, let her stand calmly for several minutes. Ask her to yield her head to you side to side, to get her giving to you. When you're ready to move, start by gently backing up, not going forward. Shake things up and break old habits. Horses are very good at anticipating!

But honestly, if you can't even control her to get her to go back to a walk from a trot, you really need some lessons and experienced boots on the ground with you. That's a wreck in the making, sorry.

A little too late, but it was very irresponsible for your parents to just plop you on any horse without ensuring you had proper training.

What you need now is lessons, and lots of them. Either with a trainer going to you and your horse, or you going to the trainer and learning on his or her horses. And gaining experience will not happen overnight.

In fact, the best thing to do would be to sell that mare and keep on with lessons. Once you are no longer a beginner and know what you are doing, purchase a horse that meets your skill level. And when you purchase that horse, bring along the person who has given you your lessons to make sure the horse is suitable for you and sound.

That is my advise. Take it or leave it. Knowing most people, they ignore advise that isn't rainbows, butterflies, and happiness. Too bad, since reality is never so fluffy and sweet.

You are in a dangerous situation, and you don't have the experience to understand that. Sure, owning a horse is cool, and probably every kid's dream. But it isn't a walk in the park. Putting a beginner on a horse not meant for a beginner is practically begging for a serious injury.

I am guessing your parents don't know anything about horses, other than the fact they look pretty and go neigh?

If she is a 21-yr old retired national level jumping horse, it is VERY likely that she has some sort of joint damage/deterioration that is causing her to be uncomfortable. She may not act uncomfortable, or be significantly lame when she is not ridden, but putting a rider on her and asking her to exert herself may push her pain thresh hold over the edge so that she fusses.

Is she on any sort of joint supplement?

Are you 100% certain that your tack fits her PERFECTLY and is adjusted properly? Tack that doesn't fit right can often make a horse act out...

Hi I have a grumpy OLD horse named Bella. I love her color and the good side to her personality but when it's time to ride, forget it! I've tried respect training after going to a Clinton Anderson show but the problem is I don't see her often. I can only see her on weekends. I need advice on what to do to improve her behavior! As soon as I hop on she throws her head and when I try to walk she trots and then won't stop! She's hard to control since I'm not very strong. I'm a beginner and this is my first horse. My parents thought it would be a good idea to get an older horse since they are usually calm and experienced. This horse is actually an ex-jumper and has won national championships, so she's not new to any of the basic things I ask her to do. I can't get another horse and she's too old for breeding plus I'm pretty attached to her. She's 21. If it helps any she's a quarter horse-thoroughbred mix. Any training advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S Im only wanting her to be a trail rider with the capability to run occasionally.
As a beginner I think it's pretty important to have an experienced instructor help guide you with your horse. It sounds more like you need to be taught how to ride her, rather than you teaching or training her. I would do a search for a local English instructor to help you along. No doubt after a few months of instruction you and your horse will be riding off into the sunset and having a great time!
smile.png

If she is a 21-yr old retired national level jumping horse, it is VERY likely that she has some sort of joint damage/deterioration that is causing her to be uncomfortable. She may not act uncomfortable, or be significantly lame when she is not ridden, but putting a rider on her and asking her to exert herself may push her pain thresh hold over the edge so that she fusses.

Is she on any sort of joint supplement?

Are you 100% certain that your tack fits her PERFECTLY and is adjusted properly? Tack that doesn't fit right can often make a horse act out...

She's on a joint supplement and it seems to help. And as for the tack I'm pretty sure it's not the right size for her so I'll have to save up to get new saddle. It seems like the bit causes her pain too.

As a beginner I think it's pretty important to have an experienced instructor help guide you with your horse.  It sounds more like you need to be taught how to ride her, rather than you teaching or training her.  I would do a search for a local English instructor to help you along.  No doubt after a few months of instruction you and your horse will be riding off into the sunset and having a great time!  :)

Great idea! I was just looking at horse camps but it seems like a private lesson would be the better way to go. She is currently being ridden western but the previous owner said she could ride both English and western.

That link was extremely helpful. As far as care goes I don't do any of the things like stalling my horse up or not giving it enough forage. It seems like I care for my horse right but the training part is all wrong. I definitely need to see a trainer about that. Only problem is my ranch is in the middle of no where....

That link was extremely helpful. As far as care goes I don't do any of the things like stalling my horse up or not giving it enough forage. It seems like I care for my horse right but the training part is all wrong. I definitely need to see a trainer about that. Only problem is my ranch is in the middle of no where....

Are there any clubs, pony club, 4-h, etc, in your area? They can be a way to find lessons.

I like that article too, I have it bookmarked and I don't even have horses! It's pertinent to so many species.

Back
Top Bottom