Houdans

Pics
Was it one of the houdans that exploded???? What causes that, none of mine have done that??? Was it one of the hairline cracked ones??? I haven't officially candled mine yet, but I know I have several clears in there.

Well this doesn't typically happen unless there is a rotten egg set in heat-- ie summer or incubator. The gases build up inside the egg, like a soda bottle, and burst. It isn't a good sign for the rest of the eggs we got. It means they were not fresh and were way too hot, which matches what you got told in the other thread on candling. I think we might have gotten a very poor batch.

I couldn't help myself I'm counting chickens before they hatch. Here is a pic of one of my new houdans any guesses as to gender yet?????
lau.gif

He was a wiggling and a squirming.

Well, there appears to be a lot of junk in the trunk and if its dancing the chicken dance you know it is a hen. Boys don't dance anymore (sad, but true). I will know tomorrow what the deal is on mine via candle... or the best guess anyway. Keep us posted Kass. I am dying to know about mine but am waiting... impatiently.

Elias, I see you have Marans too. I need a nice FCBM for my hens since the fox got my cockerel. Wanna send me some of those as well as Houdans?? lol

Great pic! How many wigglers did you get? Any empty ones?
Of the houdans I had 3 for sure alive and moving, 3 that looked just like the alive ones just couldn't tell if there was actual movement which I kept and a blood ring which I got rid of. So right now I have 6 houdan eggs, 5 NN, and 1 araucana, I started w/ 30 total eggs.

but I am only 2/3rds through the incubation soooooo
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom