Houdans

Pics
Congrats on your wigglers Kass :) Here are some of mine that are showing much improvement in mottling. They are getting darker in the chest WAY earlier than Skittles & Gigi
_MG_5005.jpg
_MG_5008.jpg
and just for fun.. Skittles had half of her crest wet, and the other half dry. She is always into something!
_MG_5248.jpg
_MG_5252.jpg

I have a crest question I would like your opininons/advice on: we are not looking at showing Spike and Zeus again until possibly fair next year. I am considering giving them a trim around the eyes because they are basically "feather" blind at this point because their crests cover their eyes. This causes them, or at least Spike, to be a nervous wreck when she bumps into anther chicken she kinda freaks out and runs/flys away and sometimes into something else. It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that I she is afraid and I am afraid her inabiity to see will get her hurt. Thoughts?
caf.gif

Yeah, we are not looking at doing anything more than the local fair. I feel bad for her, not seeing tend to make her skittish, however, she does come to my voice and her and Zeus chat constantly to keep up with each other. It is kinda sweet
love.gif

I have a crest question I would like your opininons/advice on:  we are not looking at showing Spike and Zeus again until possibly fair next year.  I am considering giving them a trim around the eyes because they are basically "feather" blind at this point because their crests cover their eyes.  This causes them, or at least Spike, to be a nervous wreck when she bumps into anther chicken she kinda freaks out and runs/flys away and sometimes into something else.  It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that I she is afraid and I am afraid her inabiity to see will get her hurt.  Thoughts?:caf
I wouldn't trim until after the fair. That will get points taken off.

I think they are supposed to have unrestricted vision.

Crests in Houdans are full and compact, round on top (for males) and globular (for females), they are not divided or split and are composed of feathers inclining slightly backwards fully to expose the butterfly comb and they are able to see in all directions except from behind.

Gigi is the same way. If he doesn't see you coming and you touch him, he flips. Flying up to 4 feet in the air in shock lol. As long as he can see in front of him, I let him be. IF anything, the beards restrict their vision more.

Same source yes. He is the only source lol.
I think Skittles is beautiful type, but really could have better mottling. What do you think?
smile.png
I agree her type is very nice too. I like her mottling in that it is even and all over, but it is to white. From what I have read you should breed her to a to dark male

I agree her type is very nice too.  I like her mottling in that it is even and all over, but it is to white.  From what I have read you should breed her to a to dark male
Her mottling is better than it was 4 weeks ago - which is surprising. I do agree too white. Hopefully we have a few that are too black :gig I doubt it though.

I think White Houdans would be easier to work with. I bet they are near extinction though. Never even seen a white one on here.

Too bad there wasn't a way we could improve mottling by mixing in another breed and fixing flaws in the future. There is nothing that would help. A polish would just ruin type.

Ah well. They are extremely pretty to look at - and I actually like more white then more black - but I do want to show them, and I want them to be very close to the SOP, so I have to hope for darker birds to work with out of the 8 in the grow out pen. It's crazy - only 1 appears to be male right now!

Back
Top Bottom