Houdans

Pics
This is the second time I have heard of donkeys as guards. I wonder if there are any good reasons other than that to keep them? I suppose the chickens could ride them and eat the bugs out of their poo.

We enjoyed them for a while, but our coop is not donkey proof and when the chickens were out free ranging, the donkeys wanted to come in and inspect/eat the food and the waterers and they damaged some of them because when a donkey scratches at food, it is a bit rougher than when a chicken does it. We had no preditor losses or even siteings while they were here. They also ate down alot of the long grass/brush in the pasture that we had not mowed. And yes, the chickens really enjoyed the poo piles after they began to dry up a bit and "grow" bugs.

We have a coyote pack that we know passes through our pasture at night but I knew they wouldn't do that while the donkeys were there so I felt better about the chickens at night and in the day as far as stray dogs etc. goes.

Hopefully we'll get some Llamas soon and they won't be quite as rough on the equipment as the donkeys were.

Oh yeah, a couple of them were rideable. Alot of folks around here use them as pack animals for hunting.

We enjoyed them for a while, but our coop is not donkey proof and when the chickens were out free ranging, the donkeys wanted to come in and inspect/eat the food and the waterers and they damaged some of them because when a donkey scratches at food, it is a bit rougher than when a chicken does it.  We had no preditor losses or even siteings while they were here.  They also ate down alot of the long grass/brush in the pasture that we had not mowed.  And yes, the chickens really enjoyed the poo piles after they began to dry up a bit and "grow" bugs.

We have a coyote pack that we know passes through our pasture at night but I knew they wouldn't do that while the donkeys were there so I felt better about the chickens at night and in the day as far as stray dogs etc. goes.

Hopefully we'll get some Llamas soon and they won't be quite as rough on the equipment as the donkeys were.

Oh yeah, a couple of them were rideable.  Alot of folks around here use them as pack animals for hunting.
I wonder if Alpacas would be similar to llamas for guarding.. We plan to get a pair next year for their fibre, and it would be an added benefit!

Color on a parti-color chicken is 37 points if that is what you are talking about

Walt
I don't know alot about the houdans I have read the standard, tried to raise some several times withno success (they all came from the same breeder) so no more houdan eggs from there
barnie.gif
. I just really think they are amazing as chics and especially full grown.

I wonder if Alpacas would be similar to llamas for guarding.. We plan to get a pair next year for their fibre, and it would be an added benefit!
We would like Alpacas as well, but have talked to some folks who had them and they said they have a llama with their herd as the Alpacas are smaller and vulnerable to coyotees so the LLama actually protects them. The donkeys slept by the chicken coop and I want to build a shelter beside it for the llamas so that they are near the chickens at night to keep the coyotes away. We'll see. We are so busy with "life" i don't know when we will get the llama search going.
hu.gif

We would like Alpacas as well, but have talked to some folks who had them and they said they have a llama with their herd as the Alpacas are smaller and vulnerable to coyotees so the LLama actually protects them.  The donkeys slept by the chicken coop and I want to build a shelter beside it for the llamas so that they are near the chickens at night to keep the coyotes away.  We'll see.  We are so busy with "life" i don't know when we will get the llama search going.:confused:
I'm not too worried about predators, as we have an LGD, but I'd like to get her something bigger to protect since she is so young. Llamas wouldn't have much purpose besides protection or breeding, would they? And no.. I couldn't eat Llama :p

thanks... im getting exited about next years breeding now lol... i have an adult pair and am setting every egg she lays+ these new chicks and i am hoping to go back up to the UofA one more time here in the next month or 2 and get some more eggs... i would like to have about 25 or 30 to chose next years breeding flock out of... im planing on keeping about 6 to 8 hens and 2 or 3 roosters for breeding stock...

Back
Top Bottom