Houdans

Pics
I'm not too worried about predators, as we have an LGD, but I'd like to get her something bigger to protect since she is so young. Llamas wouldn't have much purpose besides protection or breeding, would they? And no.. I couldn't eat Llama
tongue.png
I understand you can sell the fiber off of llama as well. I just haven't researched the market for it. We want them mostly for pet and guard animals. Our dog is 16, deaf, half blind and her hips are giving out so she is no longer a guard dog.

thanks... im getting exited about next years breeding now lol... i have an adult pair and am setting every egg she lays+ these new chicks and i am hoping to go back up to the UofA one more time here in the next month or 2 and get some more eggs... i would like to have about 25 or 30 to chose next years breeding flock out of... im planing on keeping about 6 to 8 hens and 2 or 3 roosters for breeding stock...
Did "Looney" (the houdan you picked up from us) settle in okay? I am still waiting on eggs from his hatch mate. Zeus, the other cockrel is still trying to figure out the whole mating thing too. My favs are certianly showing him how
ep.gif

haha i put him in with the hen the day after we got home lol... if i start to hatch pure Houdan chicks about 3 or 4 days from now then i will know lol... if i am still getting crossbreed chicks he has not got it figured out yet...
Okay, I was envisioning some kind of medical probing!!! I know he was trying to figure it out here. Don't know if he had it just right before he left. Mostly he did a lot of neck grabbing, and pecking but not so much mounting. Hope he has his "moves" down for you. If you do get chicks from him, I want to see pics. I feel like a grandma! He was part of our first hatch.
love.gif

yuckyuck.gif
haha... ill be sure to take photo's and post them here...
Okay, I was envisioning some kind of medical probing!!! I know he was trying to figure it out here. Don't know if he had it just right before he left. Mostly he did a lot of neck grabbing, and pecking but not so much mounting. Hope he has his "moves" down for you. If you do get chicks from him, I want to see pics. I feel like a grandma! He was part of our first hatch.
love.gif

I understand you can sell the fiber off of llama as well. I just haven't researched the market for it. We want them mostly for pet and guard animals. Our dog is 16, deaf, half blind and her hips are giving out so she is no longer a guard dog.
Oh yeah? Hmm.. But are they as friendly as alpacas? The guy I know who has them said he makes $400 after expenses each year per alpaca. That sounds awesome - and they are just so cute!! I have a really good friend who is curator at the zoo, and he will sell me a pair for $400 next fall. We had the option this fall, but it was too soon.
_MG_3802.jpg
How cute is this alpaca we met at the fair? His name is Harper, and his brother's name is Obama :lol: Harper is the Canadian Prime Minister in case you were wondering :p What is the average age a Houdan will start to lay? Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom