Houdans

Pics
Congrats on the show!

Thanks for the information, I really havent researched the details. Mainly having fun and learning as I see.
So much to learn about these ladies.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them grow, but I just got back the US for school. Tough having my wife, chickens and life back in China.
Good to be back and see family, but I miss my biologic alarm clock.

It's been a tuff week so far...I lost my 4 day old Mottled Houdan this morning unexpectedly. Mc Murray is sending a replacement chick this Sunday.
I felt so helpless just watching her fade away, It's a difficult lesson for a newbie to learn~

It's been a tuff week so far...I lost my 4 day old Mottled Houdan this morning unexpectedly. Mc Murray is sending a replacement chick this Sunday.
I felt so helpless just watching her fade away, It's a difficult lesson for a newbie to learn~
hugs.gif
Losing a cute little baby is always sad. Hope it goes better with the new one and welcome to the thread.

Welcome to the thread. Sorry to hear your baby chick didn't make it. It's always tough. I have had houdans for a few years now, and loosing houdan chicks is something, sadly, you sort of have to deal with. The breed has issues. However, if you take the time, you will get birds that will produce good strong chicks. It's the getting there that's tough.

Thanks for the kind words....glad to be here!!

:hugs Losing a cute little baby is always sad.  Hope it goes better with the new one and welcome to the thread.

Welcome to the thread. Sorry to hear your baby chick didn't make it. It's always tough. I have had houdans for a few years now, and loosing houdan chicks is something, sadly, you sort of have to deal with. The breed has issues. However, if you take the time, you will get birds that will produce good strong chicks. It's the getting there that's tough.

Hits you harder than you expect losing your first chick. Never seems to hurt less, its just that you are more prepared for it happening after.
Wishing you luck that it doesnt happen again for a very long time.

Welcome over and that is one good looking little one. Hope you can really enjoy watching them all grow up.

Is there anyone out there that will be getting chicks that would be willing to track growth rates/weights? I'm getting a shipment of 25 on May 7 from Cackle and would be really interested in comparing as they grow with someone else that could track weights and take pictures at the same ages. Could be really useful to start to figure out exactly where this breed is at this point.

When/if I get more, I will track growth. A lady near me has ordered some and I have some hatching eggs coming in the next little while. I have a food scale, so can use that to start.

Back
Top Bottom