Houdans

maralpz2006 Thanks for being willing to wait. I will let you know if I have a female too.

I will try to get some pics and post them here (if I can figure out how lol) of the ones I'm nnt sure of as Puddin Fluff suggested.

The Urch line birds are different than my old line of Houdans. On them I can usually tell around 7-8wks. But they are not as good quality wise yet either.
The Urch birds are larger boned heavier feathered birds so are harder to tell the difference. There are a couple that are definitly cockerals but the others I'm just not sure yet.

I'll try to get the pics some time this weekend and try to post them here.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
thumbsup.gif
Happy Thanksgiving. Can't wait to see pic. Teenaged Houdans are so wild looking. I love them!

maralpz2006 sorry to take so long to get back to you. I finally got some head pics of the 2 chicks that I wasnt sure about yesterday while the sun was shining. The other 3 chicks I am pretty sure are roosters as they are starting to crow !
Puddin Fluff yes I like the teenage houdans too. I love to watch them develop. Right now they are in their long legged gangly teenager stage right at the moment... lol

Please forgive the sprarse crests on them. Last week I ran out of the chick starter/grower that I use and couldnt get to the store for a couple days so I gave them some of the layer mash I feed my hens and the buggers started plucking their crest feathers out. I was so mad but at least they are starting to grow the feathers back in now that I have them back on the starter.

Oh I just saw your post asking where I'm from. I live in northeast PA and I can ship.

Well, I would not swear by it, but, my guess is both are males. It has actually been several years since I hatched and grew some out but as I recall, the girls really showed no comb at all. Of course, different lines develop differently.

One other thing, be ware the roos! Mine were bi-polar after they became mature. If you turned your back they would attack but if you sat down in the pen, they would jump on your lap and want to be petted.
gig.gif

maralpz2006 sorry to take so long to get back to you. I finally got some head pics of the 2 chicks that I wasnt sure about yesterday while the sun was shining. The other 3 chicks I am pretty sure are roosters as they are starting to crow !
Puddin Fluff yes I like the teenage houdans too. I love to watch them develop. Right now they are in their long legged gangly teenager stage right at the moment... lol

Please forgive the sprarse crests on them. Last week I ran out of the chick starter/grower that I use and couldnt get to the store for a couple days so I gave them some of the layer mash I feed my hens and the buggers started plucking their crest feathers out. I was so mad but at least they are starting to grow the feathers back in now that I have them back on the starter.

Oh I just saw your post asking where I'm from. I live in northeast PA and I can ship.

Them some young roo's you have there and it is always smart to keep some spar roo's as things happen ...

Buddy is on the Left and Lady on the Right ...

Boys pointed head feathers and girls round tip head feathers ...

Maralpz2006 I would like to wait till early January to send the birds so you can wait till then to pay if you would like. Maybe one of the cockerals will turn into a pullet by then and I could get you a pair. lol
I have to check with the post office anyway to see how much it will cost to ship and I have to get a box also. I will try to let you know this coming week about roughly how much it will be. Also do you have paypal? If so you could pay that way but if not I will take a check or money order. I will PM you when I get the rough price for shipping and box and bird.

Oh darned gander007 and Puddin Fluff I was hoping you guys would say they looked like females !...lol. This line is so hard to tell except for some of the obvious ones.
I had one last year that I swore was a roo by his crest and neck feathers but at 5-6 months of age he was talking like a female and I never heard him crow. But he was in with several other roosters so I seperated him and darned he started crowing so I was right. The other boys must have been dominating him so he stayed quiet.

gander007 Buddy and Lady are lovely houdans. Very nice crests and color.
I have plenty of Houdan roosters as I have 3 different lines and have 2 roos each of 2 of the lines and one young cockeral that I am keeping in the 3rd line. So that makes 5 so I really dont need these. I am going to hatch as many of this line as I can this coming year so will have plenty more ! I do agree with you though that its always good to keep extras. Ya never know when something will happen to one of them. I always try to keep at least 2 roos of each line

Puddin Fluff yes the roosters can be buggers. Some of them are like attack dogs and some are in between. They get the most rowdy when the girls start talking in the spring just before they start laying.

Your welcome maralpz2006. Thank you for waiting I just dont like the idea of sending them this time of year with all the packages in the mail. I'm afraid they might get lost. Also I need your town and zip code to get the price info for the post office.

Back
Top Bottom