How about a Thread for Embdens?

Miss Lydia volunteered me to post pics of my brooder and nesting boxes a while back. I can't remember if it was this thread or the one for Toulouse but the Embdens are setting so this is where the pics will go.

On your left is Danni, and in the center, corner box is Angel and her attendant ducks. The third box isnt being used right now except for sleeping. The height to the top of the cross piece is 3'.

This is what will be the brooder over the nests. The uprights are 2.5' high and the cross pieces will sit inside the frame work. The osb in the pic is the top for the corner section. It still needs to have a hole cut out ofr a heat lamp to fit through. Ends will also be covered with the osb on top. The front will have plastic chicken wire and plexi panels to go over that for heat retention as needed. This will have doors on the ends and one in the front of the corner area, also plexi inserts. Everything but the doors are cut and just have to be put together. Between my knee and the blizzard...well, not much has been done. The moisture on the walls is because of frost melting, it really doesn't leak, honest. If you look really close, you can see where the windows are cut on the outside of the building but not inside yet, those are the wet spots on the walls. Just ran out of time with the weather. Those and the painting will have to wait for warmer temps. for me to even think about doing them. Hurry up Spring!!!
Good pics, now your going to make all of us envious of your big house and nest boxes. and brooder box, etc.

It looks like it's gonna be great when you get done. Spring is comming
fl.gif

Miss Lydia volunteered me to post pics of my brooder and nesting boxes a while back. I can't remember if it was this thread or the one for Toulouse but the Embdens are setting so this is where the pics will go.

On your left is Danni, and in the center, corner box is Angel and her attendant ducks. The third box isnt being used right now except for sleeping. The height to the top of the cross piece is 3'.

This is what will be the brooder over the nests. The uprights are 2.5' high and the cross pieces will sit inside the frame work. The osb in the pic is the top for the corner section. It still needs to have a hole cut out ofr a heat lamp to fit through. Ends will also be covered with the osb on top. The front will have plastic chicken wire and plexi panels to go over that for heat retention as needed. This will have doors on the ends and one in the front of the corner area, also plexi inserts. Everything but the doors are cut and just have to be put together. Between my knee and the blizzard...well, not much has been done. The moisture on the walls is because of frost melting, it really doesn't leak, honest. If you look really close, you can see where the windows are cut on the outside of the building but not inside yet, those are the wet spots on the walls. Just ran out of time with the weather. Those and the painting will have to wait for warmer temps. for me to even think about doing them. Hurry up Spring!!!
This set up is really neat! And I love the attendant ducks, a goose with minions, lol.

This set up is really neat! And I love the attendant ducks, a goose with minions, lol.
Lol! Really! that's what they act like. They will even set the nest if one of the girls decides to get up for a bit. I even had on of the Embden ganders setting the other day. Now that surprised me!

Good pics, now your going to make all of us envious of your big house and nest boxes. and brooder box, etc.
Lol, well....I thought an 8x10' addition was going to be enough. Man was I green! Even my husband has said we need to add onto the other side if we are going to keep the ducks and geese. Since we both really like them I guess we'll be building more this year.

I also want to give credit to FBC and his ideas he is using in his Pea Palace. That's where the idea to build up for a brooder came from.

I have a pair of two year old Embdens and have eggs in the incubator. Today is day 13 and they are still clear. Shouldn't I see some veins or something by now? I'm about ready to blow the contents out and use them for a craft project. Should I wait a couple of more days or do you think 13 days is long enough?
Bob

Back
Top Bottom