How about a Thread for Embdens?

Hello! So happy to see people with Embdens! All your geese are beautiful! I am new to geese, so I am hoping for some thoughts on my situation.
I have found a sweet, beautiful Embden at a seabird/sea turtle rescue in South Texas, and I want to take her home with me. I have spent some months down here, but I live in Southeast Wisconsin. The facility down here took in this sweet Embden that I call Francie early last fall, although it is not set up for geese. She had been dumped at a park where other geese and waterfowl congregate, but we think she was unable to hold her own with the others there, since she had a pretty bad gash on her chest as well as some foot and leg problems. She is now almost all healed, but the foot and leg are still not looking great. She has been in a wooden pen all this time with only a dirt floor. I get her out for an hour or so a few times a week to let her graze and swim her in a pool, but until she has better living conditions, I doubt her foot and leg issues will resolve.
My dilemma is that I want to take her home with me, but the weather up North is still pretty cold. I know geese are pretty hardy (I've been reading all I can) but I'm thinking I should at least keep her in an insulated shed until she is clematised to the colder weather. In a month Spring will begin, and I am thinking by then she should be able to really enjoy our beautiful Wisconsin weather. What do you all think? Should I consider keeping her in my basement instead? What do you think about the long car trip? I want the best for her. If that means leaving her here until a suitable owner can be found I will do it, but not willingly, since no one has expressed interest to date.

I have a pair of two year old Embdens and have eggs in the incubator. Today is day 13 and they are still clear. Shouldn't I see some veins or something by now? I'm about ready to blow the contents out and use them for a craft project. Should I wait a couple of more days or do you think 13 days is long enough?
Bob
Don't wait anymore.. goose eggs like chicken eggs are very easy to tell no later then 10 days... if it's been 13 I'd pull them
Hello! So happy to see people with Embdens! All your geese are beautiful! I am new to geese, so I am hoping for some thoughts on my situation.
I have found a sweet, beautiful Embden at a seabird/sea turtle rescue in South Texas, and I want to take her home with me. I have spent some months down here, but I live in Southeast Wisconsin. The facility down here took in this sweet Embden that I call Francie early last fall, although it is not set up for geese. She had been dumped at a park where other geese and waterfowl congregate, but we think she was unable to hold her own with the others there, since she had a pretty bad gash on her chest as well as some foot and leg problems. She is now almost all healed, but the foot and leg are still not looking great. She has been in a wooden pen all this time with only a dirt floor. I get her out for an hour or so a few times a week to let her graze and swim her in a pool, but until she has better living conditions, I doubt her foot and leg issues will resolve.
My dilemma is that I want to take her home with me, but the weather up North is still pretty cold. I know geese are pretty hardy (I've been reading all I can) but I'm thinking I should at least keep her in an insulated shed until she is clematised to the colder weather. In a month Spring will begin, and I am thinking by then she should be able to really enjoy our beautiful Wisconsin weather. What do you all think? Should I consider keeping her in my basement instead? What do you think about the long car trip? I want the best for her. If that means leaving her here until a suitable owner can be found I will do it, but not willingly, since no one has expressed interest to date.
you would need to make sure she's at least close to the same temps to start with in my opinion. But I live in Missouri and can honestly say mine don't mind winter at all... a dry non drafty place to get out of the cold in the winter AFTER she's use to the change will be what she needs. Remember to have a place that is predator proof as she will be no match for them, especially at night.

Winter's newest surprize for us...

and those are the Embdens just hanging out in the cold... silly birds
hu.gif

Don't wait anymore.. goose eggs like chicken eggs are very easy to tell no later then 10 days... if it's been 13 I'd pull them
you would need to make sure she's at least close to the same temps to start with in my opinion. But I live in Missouri and can honestly say mine don't mind winter at all... a dry non drafty place to get out of the cold in the winter AFTER she's use to the change will be what she needs. Remember to have a place that is predator proof as she will be no match for them, especially at night.

Winter's newest surprize for us...

and those are the Embdens just hanging out in the cold... silly birds
hu.gif
As for traveling in the car. large dog crate with plenty of shavings, stopping along the way to offer feed and water. she should do fine on the trip, just make sure when you open the door to her crate your car door is closed in case she wanted to stretch her legs you might not get her back. Congrats on your new friend. and like psue says just give her a place out of the elements at night and if she wants to be during the day, basement would be nice, but giving her choice of being out side on days when the sun is shining and not too terribly cold. And diff a predator proof area housing etc. also might want to consider getting her a freind once you get her home and settled in, geese/ducks chickens are all flock animals and don't do well on their own.

Last edited:
I pulled the Embden eggs from the incubator and scrubbed them until pure white. Tomorrow I will put a one quarter inch hole in the big end and blow them out and rinse several times. Hate to lose the eggs (in the incubator due to being non-fertile), but I can salvage a bit by cleaning them out for crafts. I put six more eggs in the incubator tonight, but I haven't any high hopes that they will be fertile either. Guess I'm going to have a chat with George & Gracie!

Picture of George & the original Gracie from Holderread's when only a couple of months old. Sadly Gracie is no more and has been replaced by a less spectacular goose, but don't tell her!

I pulled the Embden eggs from the incubator and scrubbed them until pure white. Tomorrow I will put a one quarter inch hole in the big end and blow them out and rinse several times. Hate to lose the eggs (in the incubator due to being non-fertile), but I can salvage a bit by cleaning them out for crafts. I put six more eggs in the incubator tonight, but I haven't any high hopes that they will be fertile either. Guess I'm going to have a chat with George & Gracie!

Picture of George & the original Gracie from Holderread's when only a couple of months old. Sadly Gracie is no more and has been replaced by a less spectacular goose, but don't tell her!

Aww they are so pretty.

I have a pair of two year old Embdens and have eggs in the incubator. Today is day 13 and they are still clear. Shouldn't I see some veins or something by now? I'm about ready to blow the contents out and use them for a craft project. Should I wait a couple of more days or do you think 13 days is long enough?
Bob
If you're going to be blowing out the eggs after them being in a heated incubator for 13 days....you're a much braver person than I am. They are going to stink, as in RUN! Lol, I wouldn't even attempt that.

Back
Top Bottom