How about a Thread for Embdens?

I'd say thats a Francine.  and so adorable.

Thank you. I'll have to take a picture so that you can see how big she really is I never imagined a gosling could be so big. She already weighs as much as some of the smaller production hens we have. We could hear her running across the wood floor last night when we let her and her friend, Bullet the duckling out to play last night.

We got her as company for Bullet, our little home-bred (read "mutt") duckling and to eventually be a guardian/lookout for our free-range flock. She's so incredibly attached to us already. Even more so than Bullet, who is imprinted on us.

Pete! what do you mean we can't have them ALL!
lau.gif

Here is some of Squishy's children. The only geese so far to hatch is the Embden, we do have our first ever Sebastopol and Muscovy ducks in the bator.
fl.gif

8 total so far
big_smile.png
with more coming
th.gif

Pete! what do you mean we can't have them ALL!
lau.gif

Here is some of Squishy's children. The only geese so far to hatch is the Embden, we do have our first ever Sebastopol and Muscovy ducks in the bator.
fl.gif

8 total so far
big_smile.png
with more coming
th.gif

Oh they're adorable and a lovely group. Also hope you get your first Sebastopol soon with that egg in the incubator.

Have you got other eggs still to set at the moment?

Pete
wink.png

Oh they're adorable and a lovely group. Also hope you get your first Sebastopol soon with that egg in the incubator.

Have you got other eggs still to set at the moment?

Pete
wink.png
I have eggs due every week. Two more weeks of only Embden then the Sebastopol eggs start. I've one pair of Sebastopols producing fertile eggs and one pair not yet getting things right.
Unfortunatly our Buff Dewlap gander has not gotten things right,but he's a yearly and was purchased just as breeding season started. He did something last week and apears to have injured (sprung) one wing. We plan to work on his condition and see what next year brings.We are also looking into another Dewlap gander as we have 3 girls. Hope to get a split son out of a local gray gander that just won at the state showing.
Squishy the Embden, who was our first ever goose hatch last year has two girls and according to the bator is very happy.
big_smile.png

Oh your doing well and sounds like Squishy has more than proved himself. You must be so pleased with him and the fact your getting some fertile Sebastopols too
fl.gif

Shame about the Buff Dewlap Gander but often the big Dewlap Ganders are not reliable at a year old. By next year he should be filling eggs and you've time to sort this wing sprain out. However even as a yearling he should show some hormonal changes such as a change in attitude etc.

I think its a very good idea to secure another Split Gander as you never know if you might need him. Due to the scarcity of Buffs in the UK and the fact we wanted to line breed we've had to go the 'long' route. However hatched the first Buff now and that one was sired by a Split.

Best of luck

Pete
wink.png

Oh your doing well and sounds like Squishy has more than proved himself. You must be so pleased with him and the fact your getting some fertile Sebastopols too
fl.gif

Shame about the Buff Dewlap Gander but often the big Dewlap Ganders are not reliable at a year old. By next year he should be filling eggs and you've time to sort this wing sprain out. However even as a yearling he should show some hormonal changes such as a change in attitude etc.

I think its a very good idea to secure another Split Gander as you never know if you might need him. Due to the scarcity of Buffs in the UK and the fact we wanted to line breed we've had to go the 'long' route. However hatched the first Buff now and that one was sired by a Split.

Best of luck

Pete
wink.png
Thanks, We were very surprised at how well Squishy is doing this year. He is a very large boy and we expected him to take a while to get there.

The Buff Dewlap Gander is showing some attitude but with me he forgets and starts looking for treats.
lol.png
He does argue with the other boys through the fences and has been seen attempting mating. So I hope next year is much better.

We can use the improvements some grey blood will add to our flock and the availability of grey vs. buff led us to chose a split gander for our next addition.

Yay for your new Buff's Hope they grow out to be everything you want
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom