how do I edit an older post?

hoppy

I'm not all fluff
12 Years
May 5, 2007
central maine
i used to be able to edit my old posts but now I no longer see the button for those posts. i like to keep the first page of the thread for swap dates and keep that page current with dates. is there away to change this again.

We put a time limit on editing posts. This prevents members from editing out old posts which can mess up the continuity of the threads.
If you need to edit a post like in your situation, please PM a staff member with the edit and why it is needed.

Editing Thread Title
I started a thread the other day and made spelling mistakes in the title. The edit function doesn't seem to allow me to correct them. Is there a way?

Thank you very much.
smile.png

Rather obvious really, when I look properly!
he.gif

We put a time limit on editing posts. This prevents members from editing out old posts which can mess up the continuity of the threads.
If you need to edit a post like in your situation, please PM a staff member with the edit and why it is needed.
WOW, so every time I need to edit I have to have a staff member do it? I do this a whole lot. Sometimes several times a day. I also have sections of the post to place my information and I don't think I'm gonna be too popular. Will someone actually do all that for me?

Ya, we hate having to do this, but we've had cases where there have been big problems. For example someone forgot to logoff and then an upset sibling went onto their computer and deleted / edited a bunch of their posts and replaced the text with really bad stuff. It was a nightmare for the member and those reading the very popular thread.

We know there are cases where really old threads are updated over time, especially the first posts. We do like these situations and have a workaround:

Old case: You start a thread like "People who love Buff Orps" and in the first post you update / edit it with members who join, events, etc.

New case: You start a thread like "People who love Buff Orps" and in the first post you LINK TO a BYC PAGE and update / edit it with members who join, events, etc.

One of the HUGE pro's of the new use case vs. the old one: You can grant 1 or more people access to also edit a page and help you keep it updated instead of you having to do all the work! There is also a history of edits on pages / articles so you can see what was changed, when, and by whom.

Last edited:
so I can see where the link would be great, but in reality, people, myself included, hate to go that one more click to a different page to get info then click back so many time to get back to the original page. I may just start a thread for the 2nd half of the yr so i can edit page one without doing the link

LOL Ya I don't click on a lot of extras either. Too old.

OK I can see where the new editing can be helpful to a point, BUT, I'm the only one who has edited this particular post and to have others do it I don't want to lose information. I did that at one time. Luckily I had saved all the info up till them. Guess I need to do that again BTW. But if my editing has already been stopped with just me doing it, that seems to make it easier to run out of edit time even faster. IDK.... I just wanted that to be a great and helpful thread.

Here's the link, so could someone suggest what I can do? I was having fun with this and now I can't even keep things updated without having to hunt for the updates
hit.gif
And yes I am kind of crying. Not to you, just so disappointed that some kid can come in and cause such a problem for the rest of us, just because that don't know how to act. Hope they were both band or the parent grounded the brat till they are 30. LOL

Go figure I had to edit cause I forgot the link
he.gif
LOL

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565482/california-the-whole-state-thread/0_20

Last edited:

Bummer. Is there anyway around this? The only reason I ask is we use the edit feature to keep our Swap thread updated with the latest page to find info and stuff. It really doesn't do us much good to have it at the end of the thread. We like to keep the first post updated for everyone new finding the thread. I can PM you the information but it will get very crazy - updated weekly and finally daily here pretty soon. What do you think? Can you let me know?

Back
Top Bottom