How do you heat your coops

Bulldog6

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
Looking to get some type of heat source in the coop for this winter. Wondering what other are using. I have been looking at

infared heat bulbs (no light)
the heat lamps like in the brooders

or is it better to use

the heated mats
or radiant wall heaters

Coops is probably around 50-60 sqft with 10-12 hens

I think chickens in real cold climates deserve to have a insulated coop. Around here it gets below zero, no animal needs to stand out in that with out protection. I do not use heat but my coops are very insulated, and there pen is totally wrapped and a roof over it so there dry all winter and out of the freezing winds.

I think chickens in real cold climates deserve to have a insulated coop. Around here it gets below zero, no animal needs to stand out in that with out protection. I do not use heat but my coops are very insulated, and there pen is totally wrapped and a roof over it so there dry all winter and out of the freezing winds.
Just a quick question karlamaria we also are from montana do you use any source of light? We have decided to try our first winter with chickens with no heat but their coop is insulated all the way around with vents.

I think chickens in real cold climates deserve to have a insulated coop. Around here it gets below zero, no animal needs to stand out in that with out protection. I do not use heat but my coops are very insulated, and there pen is totally wrapped and a roof over it so there dry all winter and out of the freezing winds
I agree, an insulated coop is nice, but you have to have LOTS of ventilation to avoid moisture problems. No heat is nescessary if your coop is draft-free and well-ventilated, and the birds have access to unfrozen water and plenty of food.

We do not use any light, my girls stopped laying for about 6 weeks then kick started with the egg laying all over again. We had five chickens and we got eggs from them pretty often but not consistent. I do not add light, but am thinking of it this year to keep the girls going since I see my production is down already and out of 6 birds got only 1 egg yesterday. I'm glad we had power added to the coop so we can add light. I'm seriously thinking about it. Just not sure at what times to set the timers yet.

I am going to add minimum heat not sure what I am going to use but I was thinking about putting something under the sand in my coop once the sand is warm the chickens will have nice toasty feet! Someone here mention heat mat? what is that? On thanks for posting this it is one of the things I have on my honey do list before winter hits!

HI,, I live in Manitoba, Canada and I am very new to having chickens.. I have a well insulated chicken coop about 12 by 14 square feet and 18 chickens,, I have a rabbit in there too , in her own area, so I think I will use the Orek (spelling) heater as the rabbit needs it and I spend time with the chickens and rabbit so I would like it warm.. It only uses as much power as a coffee maker.. We do get it pretty cold here. It is all safe for pet and children so I think it should work..

Heating a coop is really not necessary. Chickens come with a nice warm feather coat. What is more important during the cold winter months is to avoid drafts while still providing ventilation. Chickens will huddle close together which provides warmth. Adding a heated waterer will also help to provide extra heat.

Back
Top Bottom