How do you heat your coops

Chickens do not need heat. I was concerned my first winter, but have now decided not to heat. Also, the winter months is a time when the chickens body recovers from the previous year so adding light to get them to lay more is deterimental to their natural cycle. My only lamps are for me to see them and ensure all are healthy, well fed and watered. Come spring they will lay with great abundance!!

For those of us who have a need for the girls to lay earlier than late February or March, we need to add light to the day to get production rolling again.
I do have lights and they all run on a time built into the electric line to them. However, I let my girls take a break here in the fall when many are molting or trying to fill back in the feathers they lost. Yes, they need a break. I will give them that and then start lengthening the light extension as I need to start setting egg in December here to get stock for the summer shows. I then need them to be laying regularly so that I can start shipping eggs and chicks in February when the demand for them begins.

I was thinking of using a heat lamp this winter but after reading all these posts I started thinking back to when I was growing up. We never used a heat lamp and our chickens had considerably less of a decent "home". They lived in a corner of our 100 yr old two story drafty barn, they had no pen of their own and were free range year round. The only things I did was had a rubber saucer for their feed, a small water can witch was constantly frozen and their roosts were just 2 1"x3"s with the narrow side up. I would count them every night and we would never lose one in the winter. We lost all to predators in the summer none from the winter(actually I take that back we did lose one but it was because she was in the drive way when the plow guy came that was heartbreaking for a 12 yr old girl!)

So for my adult chickens I will not be using any heat lamps. But I think I will for my chicks it will give me piece of mind at least, they are only 1 and 3 weeks old right now anyway and it is already 36F out. I was really hoping for at least a couple more weeks of nice heat, but I guess nature decided to get back on the ball with our temps here.

I do have a 75 watt light bulb going to extend the daylight but I only plan on running a red heat bulb on the nights when the temps are going to be teens and below, just enough heat to take the edge off. I do have a question for anyone who wants to respond. I keep hearing everyone talking about keeping the coop draft free in the winter, how do I do that when the door from the coop to the run needs to be open?

Good question. And I'll add mine: How to do you keep it well-ventilated (against humidity build-up from the chicken lungs) and draft-free, too. (I'm thinking holes up high)

The question posed was about the use of infrared lighting and the use of it. First off, They dont emit enough light to effect egg production during winter months. Secondly, the amount of heat transmitted is minimal and the most it will do is take the chill off the inside of the coop on a sub zero day. If properly installed there is no more threat to fire than the light bulb in your own home. Thirdly, an extension cord is for temporary use of a plug in and not intended as a primary hookup. Yes chickens have survived the elements for centuries, but until you have seen them dead and frozen to the ground and without some of their leg parts and other extremities, you wont change your mind about shelter or heat. Its a modern day convenience and something our ancestors were not able to provide. A light in a coop doesnt have to be for heat. Its so you can see what the heck you are doing when its dark out! That includes scooping poop and filling water and feed containers. To me a light bulb is insufficient for any size coop and is a waste of money for what you are trying to achieve. We are not commercial chicken farmers and I dont believe in excelerating egg production during winter months. But I will keep my chickens warm using any modern day means possible. By the way, my chickens go through more grain during winter months than in summer. They depend on more grain and feed because they cant free range in the snow covered ground as well. So as you go through your first winter with your birds I wish you the best in caring for your flock no matter what the size.

how do I do that when the door from the coop to the run needs to be open?

I saw a picture of a coop somewhere here on BYC that was pretty clever. the chicken door opened to a 'U' shaped "alley with a door to the outside on the far end of the long leg of the 'U'. Kind of like this (if it doesn't shift too badly when posted). No matter what the wind direction, it isn't likely to hit the outside door, turn 90 degrees, then back a 180 and get into the coop.

______
| |
| coop |
| |_____
| alley |
| |------ |
|______| ___|

(I'm thinking holes up high)

Read back a few pages. People have posted pictures and yes, their ventilation areas are at the top of the walls. Summarizing what I've read, it is very important to make sure there are no drafts at "bird height". So definitely no openings lower than the birds' heads when they are on the roost during cold weather. From the pictures, you don't need a huge amount of venting.

Bruce

Read back a few pages. People have posted pictures and yes, their ventilation areas are at the top of the walls. Summarizing what I've read, it is very important to make sure there are no drafts at "bird height". So definitely no openings lower than the birds' heads when they are on the roost during cold weather. From the pictures, you don't need a huge amount of venting.

Bruce

Back in the day, coops like mine were used up through Maine and Canada. Notice where the winter ventilation is, right at chicken level. BUT, it is still a draft free coop.
Jack

LL

Back in the day, coops like mine were used up through Maine and Canada. Notice where the winter ventilation is, right at chicken level. BUT, it is still a draft free coop.
Yes, they used coops like that 50 or 100 years ago. But keep in mind, there isn't a single chicken that was alive back then which has survived to today, so that proves that the old system didn't provide sufficient protection.

ya.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom