How do you keep your water from freezing?

Pics
How do you keep your chickens from pecking the cord?
I have the heater base in a corner with the cord running up the corner. The waterer blocks access to the cord. The outlet is mounted up high. If they pecked it, I would cover the corner with a strip of wood. But they didn't. I have the same setup in my new coop for 3 weeks since my chicks were 8 weeks old. No pecking the cord noticed. 20181021_091815.jpg . I also have it in a corner with the cord running up the corner to the outlet mounted up high. GC

:goodpost: I think I just might have the answer. The manufacturer of the heated waterer make a product for the average winter condition. There is no one product that will cover all bases. A devise made for 20* temps will freeze way up north in Canada. A device made to handle Canadian sub arctic freezing temperature, when used lets say here in the Midwest makes the water too warm.
Its not like we have to reinvent the wheel, but rather get the correct wheel for our specific need. :)
Now Cavemanrich, I do believe that's one of the most intelligent statements I've read all night! Bravo! Well said!

I was planning on just running a light bulb under the water so the heat rises and the water doesn't freeze...a coworker said to use a fish tank heater in the water...what do yall think about that?

Hi, I live in central Ontario, Canada. I have about 20 birds in my flock, to stop the plastic water bowl from freezing, I take a building block that they use for walls and put a 40 watt bulb inside it , with a piece of metal cut to fit the top of the block. water never freezes and it is luke warm for the hens to drink, they love it.

Back
Top Bottom