How does everyone sanitize their eatin' eggs?

Veggie, I have the same problems. We have three chicks out of which one/some will most likely end up being (a) roo/s. Tough choice. I don't think I'd want to keep one all by himself. That seems kinda cruel....

I not only don't wash them, I don't refrigerate them (except in dead of summer) - just leave them out on kitchen counter for up to two weeks then refigerate or cook and give to chickens.

As has been posted, eggs are porous and if you wash them the water and soap washes away the protective bloom and is absorbed into the egg, same with odors and humid/wet air in fridge. My eggs are always room temp and ready to bake with.

Tell the MIL it's those Wal Mart eggs she ought to be worried about. Saw a documentary once that showed how commercial eggs sold in grocery stores can be up to six months old. They just rewash them and repackage and redate them and put them back on the shelves. By that time, God only knows what all they have absorbed. That's why I got chickens and have been eating unwashed, unfrigerated eggs ever since as have all of my family and friends that I have been giving eggs to. Other than lots of strange, mysterious deaths, no one has gotten ill. O.K. just kidding.
smile.png

I never washed mine, either, mostly from laziness (or impatience
roll.png
) Then I heard about bloom and was thrilled I was doing the right thing by accident.

What's really bad is I don't even wash the ones that have poo on them, I just crack them on a clean spot!
lol.png

Our dear member, Seachick, told me about leaving the eggs out on the counter. She used to live on a boat and they never put them in the fridge.
smile.png
My eggs don't last that long so they are usually used up by the end of the week. What I have left over goes to the neighbor who trades me out raw milk.
tongue.png

Even in the heart of summer IF YOU HAVE THE AC ON you can leave them on the counter. Now I hate to eat one that has been in the fridge. LOL

Quote:
You can really leave them out? For how long? How long is an egg good for after it is laid?
:|

I leave mine on the counter - the oldest we've eaten was a month old.

Go-veggie,
keep your roo, let him be with the girls, and collect your eggs daily, don't let the girls sit on them, and your eggs will be fine!!!
Nothing starts to form in an egg unless it is warmed to a certain temp, for a certain amount of time.
So if you collect your eggs daily, and try to get them soon after they were laid, they are not any different then if you didn't have a roo!!!
big_smile.png

Brenda
PS, some times I wash and some times I don't!
I let mine sit in a basket a few days or so, then put in the fridge, if we don't use them fast enough!

I don't wash unless I have a bad spot. Then I just spot wash with a paper towel and water that is at least 10 degrees warmer than the egg, so I don't create a vacuum that will suck the yuck inside. Works wonderful. Really dirty or floor eggs, go to the dog. He just loves them cracked over his food. Spoiled brat
lol.png

Quote:
True, and if the a/c in this 100 year old farm home we bought could ever manage to keep the kitchen area cool, I would leave them out then too. It's funny, two days ago I discovered that there are working window blinds on the kitchen windows, custom-made, fabric coordinated to match the curtains. I've pulled them all down and now the kitchen is staying much cooler. Before that the stainless steel countertops were so hot you couldn't touch them because of the sunshine coming through the windows and the a/c would run all day and not cool the kitchen. All this time I thought they were just decorative little valances since they were 12 feet up at top of window and only a few inches were showing beneath valance. Duh....... Did have to taken them down and unwind them though - proably been stuck that way 30 years since this house was froo-frooed up in the early 70s. Guess now I can go back to leaving my eggs out year round like I did before we moved here.

Ok I am new to the chicken thing and wanted a little info.

What is the ideal temp when letting eggs sit on the counter?

I live in an OLD farm house with no A/C and draw the curtins everyday but it is still very warm. I would say 80's would they be ok or should I put them in fridge?

Back
Top Bottom