How long should I treat an eye problem?

Fallbrook Chicken Mama

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2023
Fallbrook, Southern California
Yesterday morning I noticed that one of my Brahma's (6 weeks old) eye was shot. Other than that she was acting normally. I took a picture of the eye and showed it at the local feed store to someone. She suggested to separate the chick (we did) and to use Terramycin 2 times a day on the eye. We did this yesterday and once this morning. The eye looks fine now. I was wondering how long we need to have her separated from the flock and how long we needed to continue with the ointment. The picture was taken right after spraying some saline water on the eye, at which point she partially opened it. Hopefully that was a good first step to do.

Thanks!

IMG_2035.JPG

I would continue the terramycin for a few more days and see how she's doing then.
Is she still separated?
Do any of your other chickens have any eye problems that you've noticed? Bubbly eyes, keeping the eye shut, ect...?

I would continue the terramycin for a few more days and see how she's doing then.
Is she still separated?
Do any of your other chickens have any eye problems that you've noticed? Bubbly eyes, keeping the eye shut, ect...?
Thanks, Tookie, for your answer.
Yes, she is still separated and therefore lonely. I spend time with her, when I can. I've just looked at her eye and saw that around the "bad" eye it is slightly pink, but not around the good eye.
None of the other birds are showing any eye problems. They are also very energetic, no signs of lethargy, etc.
I'd love to return her to the flock as soon as possible, but only when she is well enough. Since this is the first time I'm going through this, I don't know for how long I should separate her.

Thanks, Tookie, for your answer.
Yes, she is still separated and therefore lonely. I spend time with her, when I can. I've just looked at her eye and saw that around the "bad" eye it is slightly pink, but not around the good eye.
None of the other birds are showing any eye problems. They are also very energetic, no signs of lethargy, etc.
I'd love to return her to the flock as soon as possible, but only when she is well enough. Since this is the first time I'm going through this, I don't know for how long I should separate her.
Could you get a current picture of her eye?
I think she could probably be put back with the flock, but it does depends on how bad her eye is.
She's not acting lethargic, correct?

Here is a current picture of her eye.
She is not acting lethargic at all; she really wants to be out of the cage she is in. She makes happy sounds when I go in the garage and greet her, and hops around. She is drinking and eating OK.
I don't want to rush anything...

IMG_2044.JPG

Here is a current picture of her eye.
She is not acting lethargic at all; she really wants to be out of the cage she is in. She makes happy sounds when I go in the garage and greet her, and hops around. She is drinking and eating OK.

View attachment 3646713
I think I would leave her separated for a few more days and see if her eye heals up a bit more. I would be worried about others pecking at her.
If possible, you could put her in the crate in the run for the day so she still gets to be with her flock mates.

If she is in the crate, the other chicks won't peck at her? (Assuming she is close to the wall of the cage)?
They could if they wanted to, but as long as she can get away I don't think its too much of an issue. It would also be good to put the crate along a wall so no one could get her from there.
If you have some chicken wire or hardware cloth you could put that around the crate so no one could peck at her.

They could if they wanted to, but as long as she can get away I don't think its too much of an issue. It would also be good to put the crate along a wall so no one could get her from there.
If you have some chicken wire or hardware cloth you could put that around the crate so no one could peck at her.
Tookie, our chick's eye has taken a bad turn. It looks worse than yesterday. We have been treating her with Terramycin twice a day. (She has been isolated from the others; her cage was just placed outside of the chicken run during the day.) Is there anything else you can suggest we do, or do we need to seek medical help for this? Thank you!
IMG_2061.jpg

Tookie, our chick's eye has taken a bad turn. It looks worse than yesterday. We have been treating her with Terramycin twice a day. (She has been isolated from the others; her cage was just placed outside of the chicken run during the day.) Is there anything else you can suggest we do, or do we need to seek medical help for this? Thank you!View attachment 3647962
Oh no! I'm not too sure what to do now, keep applying the Terramycin though. Also try rinsing out the eye with saline.
I'm wondering if she could have fowl pox...do you have many mosquitoes where you are? Do any of your other chickens have scab looking things on their face combs or wattles?
I'll tag some experts... @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @dawg53 .

Back
Top Bottom