How Many Cc Of Tylan 50 Do Chickens Get? Help Asap

Quote:
No, they don't make it specifically for poultry. What people use here is the product that you bought, either the injectable or the water-soluble. Glad to hear you're little ones are perking up.

I use tylan 50 for my chickens and it works wonders. For adult chickens give them 1/2 cc down their throat. Young chickens (half grown) give 1/4 cc. For biddies you can give them 1/10 cc. Give these dosages for three days. Hope this helps!

ml = cc. mg = milligrams does not = cc's.

1/8th cc Tylan50 for that size bird. 1/4th cc for an adult bird. Three days only, in the breast muscle, change places each day.

Important question though - do any of the birds' heads stink, the drainage? If so, that's coryza. Otherwise I wouldn't feel that the sulfa drugs are as effective as the Tylan can be. Of course, your best bet would be take one of the birds to a vet and get a "culture and sensitivity" done on the drainage from its head. The bird doesn't have to be sacrificed for that. Don't allow the vet to simply give you antibiotics from seeing the bird; this board could do as much probably with more experience.

If you're using Tylan50, you can also mix the tylan50 with sterile saline wash (1 part tylan to 4 parts wash) and put a drop in each eye, and use as a nasal flush.

I'll include an article on other supportive methods to treat respiratory illness that work for any type of respiratory illness as it supports the basic respiratory system below.

Added: I see you gave the 1/2 cc first dosage - that should be fine. Try the 1/4th cc next time though.
smile.png
At least you got a good start.

Last edited:
Tylan injectible is better then water soluble.

I think 1/2 cc is the better dose..
according to Merck..35mg/kg is proper dose.

inject into the meatiest part of the breast, use alcohol on the area..go in on an angle away from the breast bone..needle doesn't have to go in much at all.....
pull back on plunger to see if there's blood..if so. pull out and move over slightly..repeat..
if no blood..inject med.

if Coryza, it needs to be treated aggressively.

link to sinus/eye flush instructions:

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=2008&thread=1819

Last edited:
Quote:
OK I see - I was going by the dosage of 1 mL per 6.25 pounds, http://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-50-injection.html.

Tylan50's
1 ml has 50 mg with a dosage of 35mg per 1 kg caged bird weight, according to Merck. 1kg=2 lbs
35 mg = 2 lbs bird dosage; 50 mg is 143% of 35mg, so 1 ml treats a 2.86 pound bird. 1 cc = 1 ml so 1/2 cc treats a 1.43 pound bird.

Thank you.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom