How many chickens can fit in a 35x10 run

I do not use a heat lamp with adult hens (or roosters for that matter)
Chickens have a built in down coat. Mine are fine with no heat source at all and we get to -20 where I live. Does it seem cruel? Perhaps, but then our perception of cold and theirs are different. Mine have a very nice coop that keeps them nice and dry in the winter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606549/chickens-in-the-winter-heat-or-no-heat

There are many articles about winter heating and chickens. Lots to read and lots to learn from.
There are sadly many posts every year about a chicken coop that burned down due to a heat lamp.
I avoid them in the coop all together. I brood the chicks in the house with a VERY well secured heat lamp in a room no one but me is allowed in so the heat lamp CANNOT be knocked down by them or any other pet or person.

I do not use a heat lamp with adult hens (or roosters for that matter)
Chickens have a built in down coat. Mine are fine with no heat source at all and we get to -20 where I live. Does it seem cruel? Perhaps, but then our perception of cold and theirs are different. Mine have a very nice coop that keeps them nice and dry in the winter.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606549/chickens-in-the-winter-heat-or-no-heat

There are many articles about winter heating and chickens. Lots to read and lots to learn from.
There are sadly many posts every year about a chicken coop that burned down due to a heat lamp.
I avoid them in the coop all together. I brood the chicks in the house with a VERY well secured heat lamp in a room no one but me is allowed in so the heat lamp CANNOT be knocked down by them or any other pet or person.
so for the first year they will be around 7 or 8 months old should they be fine or should i put a lght on them ? if i do anything other then that i will heat them on the coldest nigght

Why not? Your warm area doesn't need to be much bigger than a hen.

Well you can have a hot spot inside the box and then other areas where the chicks can go to, to cool down. But just make sure there is enough heat and warmth to go round...

so for the first year they will be around 7 or 8 months old should they be fine or should i put a lght on them ? if i do anything other then that i will heat them on the coldest nigght
They only need heat until they are fully feathered--about 6 weeks old. They usually do not need heat unless it gets to 30 below, and then to prevent frostbite on the comb and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom