How many eggs does one peahen lay and what time frame is that?

Peahens start laying in early April. April and May are the best months. June is not bad but only expect a few in July and even fewer in August. How many eggs a hen will lay is a matter of speculation since many of us free range. It probably will depend on the age of the hen too. Look for 12 to 20 eggs per season. Late season eggs seem not to hatch as well as early season. Some eggs will be infertile while others simply will not hatch. If 65% of every egg you pick up hatches you are doing about as good as it gets. Part of the failure of of eggs to hatch lies in the incubation. Most people who use an incubator have only a foggy notion of how they operate. Hence the poor hatch rate experienced by most.

Three hens, 87 eggs so far! Out of the last ten set, only one wasn't fertile, two died at about 10 days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I have 6 hens all in pens with 3 cocks I averaged 42 eggs per bird last year. But I was only feeding laying mash to them all year. The earliest I got an egg last year was late February. I did maintain a 85% hatch rate last year also. So I've had very good luck with my flock!

Hello, What kind of area do you live in? Do you have close neighbors, nearby roads, predators? You might not be able to let them roam safely, depending upon your environment...

welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the wonderful world of Peas! Even if you have the perfect environment for free ranging your Peafowl...... out in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors around, you still need to keep them penned for at least 3 months. Peacocks become territorialized and when you move them they will not view the new place as their territory, they will still consider the old place as their territory and they will leave and try to find their way back home. You need to pen them long enough for them to forget the old place and get to know the new place as well as their new caregivers. Once they are well settled in and are used to you and the new surroundings, I would start by letting one out at a time during the day only, then try 2 at a time then eventually all 3. I always recommend 3 months and easing into the free ranging. I have heard so many people say they brought peas home and after a week or 2 they turned them loose and then never saw them again. What kind did you get, any pictures? We love pictures!

hello i'm new at how many male and female do you keeo in a pen.

1-3 will give you the best results in my opinion. I've seen many people buy same amount of males as females put them altogether hoping they will pair off but when only one or less than half of the males are actually breeding while the rest of the males are only fighting. Peafowl don't mate in pairs or for life like raptors do instead they will breed harems like chickens.

Back
Top Bottom