How many wine makers do we have here?

All the reading I'm doing on home made fruit wine says it should set bottled for 1 year prior to drinking it, but my partner at work says her father has been making fruit wine for years and he drinks it after 1 month and it is good, so what's the scoop guys how long after it is in the bottle before you drink it?

Also as I understand it if making straight fruit wine you need to add a nutrition something for the yeast to work properly, do you still need to add it if you add say a freezer can of grape juice?

1. All the reading I'm doing on home made fruit wine says it should set bottled for 1 year prior to drinking it, but my partner at work says her father has been making fruit wine for years and he drinks it after 1 month and it is good, so what's the scoop guys how long after it is in the bottle before you drink it?
  2. Also as I understand it if making straight fruit wine you need to add a nutrition something for the yeast to work properly, do you still need to add it if you add say a freezer can of grape juice?
1. Drink it when it tastes good! If you like it young, drink; old, drink; red, drink; white, drink! Yes, many wines will be improved by aging - I ptefer my fruit wines at between 6-12 months.

2. Fruit wines need some feed. Even if you use canned grape juice, it has been processed and it won't have the nutrients for a good strong fermentation. If you are going to the trouble to make wine, invest in the nutrients - you won't be sorry!

thumbsup.gif

Most things will need a nutrient. And most wine makers will want to use a nutrient(for faster fermentation). I would say any sort of a frozen juice concentrate would require a nutrient. You won't have a lot of the fruit left if you just use frozen juice.

I would highly recommend using one of these for a first time wine maker.
http://www.winexpert.com/products

As far as aging goes it really just depends sometimes. There is no special method to know when the perfect time to drink is going to be. It is almost impossible to catch a wine at its peak. Think of it as a parabola. It will start off, usually, at an undrinkable state. But over time it gets better and better, but wait to long and you miss the peak and its all downhill from there.

All the reading I'm doing on home made fruit wine says it should set bottled for 1 year prior to drinking it, but my partner at work says her father has been making fruit wine for years and he drinks it after 1 month and it is good, so what's the scoop guys how long after it is in the bottle before you drink it?

Also as I understand it if making straight fruit wine you need to add a nutrition something for the yeast to work properly, do you still need to add it if you add say a freezer can of grape juice?

I'm far from an expert, so I have no idea when you are to drink it but I drink mine after 30 days and it is DELICIOUS !!!!!!!!!! :drool

1. All the reading I'm doing on home made fruit wine says it should set bottled for 1 year prior to drinking it, but my partner at work says her father has been making fruit wine for years and he drinks it after 1 month and it is good, so what's the scoop guys how long after it is in the bottle before you drink it?
  2. Also as I understand it if making straight fruit wine you need to add a nutrition something for the yeast to work properly, do you still need to add it if you add say a freezer can of grape juice?

1. Drink it when it tastes good! If you like it young, drink; old, drink; red, drink; white, drink! Yes, many wines will be improved by aging - I ptefer my fruit wines at between 6-12 months.

2. Fruit wines need some feed. Even if you use canned grape juice, it has been processed and it won't have the nutrients for a good strong fermentation. If you are going to the trouble to make wine, invest in the nutrients - you won't be sorry!

:thumbsup

What kind of nutrients? Can you give examples?

I will try keeping a bottle for 6 months to see if I can taste a difference. Oh, I have a question......How should I store it? In the fridge? In a cool area? Does temp matter? Should it be corked? Can it go in a regular recycled glass bottle? What should I do?

Most things will need a nutrient.  And most wine makers will want to use a nutrient(for faster fermentation).  I would say any sort of a frozen juice concentrate would require a nutrient.  You won't have a lot of the fruit left if you just use frozen juice.  

I would highly recommend using one of these for a first time wine maker.
http://www.winexpert.com/products

As far as aging goes it really just depends sometimes.  There is no special method to know when the perfect time to drink is going to be.  It is almost impossible to catch a wine at its peak.  Think of it as a parabola.  It will start off, usually, at an undrinkable state.  But over time it gets better and better, but wait to long and you miss the peak and its all downhill from there.

So what kind of nutrient?

There are a few different ones which are popular

The ones I know of are

Fermaid K
Fermax
and DAP(Diammonium Phosphate)

I use DAP, its about the cheapest and easiest to find.

edit-storage

Ideally you want to store it at around 55 Degrees Fahrenheit, or abouts. But never above 68. However you plan on corking will determine your position. 100% cork you will want to store at an angle to keep the cork moist. With a synthetic cork it does not matter which position as it will self expand.

Last edited:
There are a few different ones which are popular 

The ones I know of are 

Fermaid K
Fermax 
and DAP(Diammonium Phosphate)

I use DAP, its about the cheapest and easiest to find.

edit-storage

Ideally you want to store it at around 55 Degrees Fahrenheit, or abouts.  But never above 68.  However you plan on corking will determine your position.  100% cork you will want to store at an angle to keep the cork moist.  With a synthetic cork it does not matter which position as it will self expand.

Ok great. So when do I put in the nutrient?

WOW! You know a lot about wine making. So glad that you are on this thread. :bow

Back
Top Bottom