How many wine makers do we have here?

Quote: Yeah, tell me about it! The honey I bought was in CA, and set me back quite a bit. BUT, having said that, the mead was exceptional. I did a melomel, with raspberries, and it was like drinking summer sunshine.

It sounds like you are into the ancient. My mom did the same thing but with veggies and flowers. She made the most excellent dandelion wine I have ever tasted, and the pea-pod wine was to die for. I make "Tanglefoot" sometimes - just got to have a bit of home in the cellar.

Just bottled 7 1/2 gallons of peach wine. I'm sitting drinking a glass right now. Not the clearest, but tastes really good, especially as I got the peaches for 10 cents a pound!

Ok, I have a crazy question. What is the purppose of putting nutrients in the wine and what happens if you don't put in nutrients?

Helps speed fermentation and tends to curb sulfur smells/tastes by keeping the yeast from breaking down.

Thank you for the explanation. So, when do you put in the nutrients? I know that some of us have a different process and may make our wine differently. I have never used nutrients but want to try it. So do I put it in at the very beginning or at the final stage?

Originally Posted by Canieldonrad 

to get brood, pollen and capped honey(which I uncapped).  The brood and pollen where the majority of what I used.  And the drone brood was extra juicy when I added them(some were hatching as I cut them out).

I'm kind of glad we are beekeepers, using 6 full quart jars of honey of the quality I used would easily set me back $120.

Yeah, tell me about it! The honey I bought was in CA, and set me back quite a bit. BUT, having said that, the mead was exceptional. I did a melomel, with raspberries, and it was like drinking summer sunshine.

It sounds like you are into the ancient. My mom did the same thing but with veggies and flowers. She made the most excellent dandelion wine I have ever tasted, and the pea-pod wine was to die for. I make "Tanglefoot" sometimes - just got to have a bit of home in the cellar.

Just bottled 7 1/2 gallons of peach wine. I'm sitting drinking a glass right now. Not the clearest, but tastes really good, especially as I got the peaches for 10 cents a pound! 

:clap

:drool

Quote: Thank you for the explanation. So, when do you put in the nutrients? I know that some of us have a different process and may make our wine differently. I have never used nutrients but want to try it. So do I put it in at the very beginning or at the final stage?
My process;
day 1, add potassium meta-bisulfite.
day 2, pitch yeast, add super food, acid(if needed), pectic enzyme (and tannin to some wines).

Then let ferment until dry

Food must be available to the yeast earl on so it gets a good start in life. No point in adding it to the must when the yeast cells are pretty much dead~

Ok, I have a crazy question. What is the purppose of putting nutrients in the wine and what happens if you don't put in nutrients?

Helps speed fermentation [COLOR=FF0000]{AND PREVENT STUCK FERMENTATION}[/COLOR] and tends to curb sulfur smells/tastes by keeping the yeast from breaking down.

Thank you for the explanation. So, when do you put in the nutrients? I know that some of us have a different process and may make our wine differently. I have never used nutrients but want to try it. So do I put it in at the very beginning or at the final stage?

My process;
day 1, add potassium meta-bisulfite.
day 2, pitch yeast, add super food, acid(if needed), pectic enzyme (and tannin  to some wines).

Then let ferment until dry

Food must be available to the yeast earl on so it gets a good start in life. No point in adding it to the must when the yeast cells are pretty much dead~

Is that the Campden tabs or is that something else?

Last edited:
From reading everyone's posts, there are soooooo many different ways to make wine.

Here is my current process but I will be changing that this week because of the expert advice that I am reading on this thread. I'm excited about the new process.

Day 1 - Clean and place 1 gallon fruit in 5 gallon bucket. Cover fruit with water. 1 inch of water (above the fruit). Place secured lid on 5 gallon bucket and let set for 4 days in a cool room.
Day 4 - Mash fruit, add sugar, yeast add more water. Water level should be about 1 inch from top of bucket. Let this mixture set for 2 days.
Day 6 - Filter/strain fruit. Put wine in covered bucket for 30 days.
Day 30 – Your wine is ready! Strain wine again before pouring wine in gallons.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I will change to adding the Campden tabs on Day 1.

On Day 2, I will add my sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient and allow it to set for a few days.

Then I will strain my fruit in a few days and let set for 30 days. After 30 days, it should be ready to bottle.

From reading everyone's posts, there are soooooo many different ways to make wine.

Here is my current process but I will be changing that this week because of the expert advice that I am reading on this thread. I'm excited about the new process.

Day 1 - Clean and place 1 gallon fruit in 5 gallon bucket. Cover fruit with water. 1 inch of water (above the fruit). Place secured lid on 5 gallon bucket and let set for 4 days in a cool room.
Day 4 - Mash fruit, add sugar, yeast add more water. Water level should be about 1
inch from top of bucket. Let this mixture set for 2 days.
Day 6 - Filter/strain fruit. Put wine in covered bucket for 30 days.
Day 30 – Your wine is ready! Strain wine again before pouring wine in gallons.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I will change to adding the Campden tabs on Day 1.

On Day 2, I will add my sugar, yeast and yeast nutrient and allow it to set for a few days.

Then I will strain my fruit in a few days and let set for 30 days. After 30 days, it should be ready to bottle.
I use 3 lbs of fruit per gallon for a medium wine. Less for a very light dry wine, and more for a desert wine. Also, I ALWAYS freeze mine first. It gets more juice from the fruit.

Sometimes I let it ferment dry before removing the pulp. Add more K-meta, then let it sit. I rack it a couple of times before bottling to make sure it has completely dropped out and there is less chance of a bottle fermentation starting. So my wine is usually bottled at 3-6 months.

I have the distinct impression you are making a very light wine that it ready earlier than mine.

I'm going to try your method since I have a bunch of ginger I need to use up. Perhaps make a low alcohol wine, then let the final bit of fermentation happen in the bottle "grolsch" type, just about two atmospheres for a light "spritz". Love Ginger wine with Perrier an lime wedges on a hot summer day, so fizzy ginger wine should be good too.

Back
Top Bottom