How many wine makers do we have here?

So, I have been working on revising my recipe based on the experts on this thread and doing much reading and researching. This is what I have come up.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Clean and place fruit in 5 gallon bucket.

Stir together all of the wine making ingredients called for, EXCEPT for the Wine Yeast and Pectic Enzyme, into your gallon bucket. Add water to equal the batch to 5 gallons. Then add campden tablets. They should be crushed up before adding.

Cover the gallon bucket with a thin, clean towel and wait 24 hours. During this waiting period the Campden Tablets are sterilizing the juice with a mild sulfur gas. During the 24 hours the gas leaves the container making it safe to add the wine yeast.

After 24 hours, sprinkle the wine yeast over the surface of the juice. Add 1/8 teaspoon of Pectic Enzyme for every gallon of juice/pulp at the beginning of fermentation. Then cover with a thin, clean towel. Allow this mixture (must) to ferment for 5 to 7 days. You should start to see some foaming activity within 24 hours of adding the wine yeast.

After 5 to 7 days remove the pulp from the gallon bucket and discard. Siphon the wine into another 5 gallon bucket in a careful manner, so as to leave the sediment behind. You can easily remove the pulp by lifting out the fermentation bag (if you have one). Wring out any excess juice from the bag. Siphon the wine off the sediment without stirring it up. Get as much liquid as you can, even if some of the sediment comes with it. If necessary, add water back to 5 gallons.

Attach your special lid with tubing (my own version) to gallon bucket. Allow the juice to ferment for an additional 4-6 week period or until it becomes completely clear.

Once the wine has cleared completely, siphon it off of the sediment again. Stir in 5 Campden Tables that have been crushed and then bottle. When siphoning off the sediment, unlike the first time you siphoned the wine, you want to leave all of the sediment behind, even if you lose a little wine.

Last edited:
How many of you use a hydrometer? How important is Pectic Enzyme?
Everyone should use a hydrometer to better understand the alcohol content your solution can produce, and where it eventually ends up.

Pectic Enzyme isn't necessary, its not a bad thing if you drink wine with the pectin still in tact. It just makes for a nasty appearance is all.

Cover the gallon bucket with a thin, clean towel and wait 24 hours. During this waiting period the Campden Tablets are sterilizing the juice with a mild sulfur gas. During the 24 hours the gas leaves the container making it safe to add the wine yeast.
Almost right. Potassium metabisulfite (or Campden tabs, or sodium bisulfaite) acts by binding with the oxygen in the must. When it binds, it's stops aerobic bacterial infection, since there is now no (or little) oxygen, and also prevents oxydisation

Prior to bottling, I always test the wine for sulfite (kits are available), and only add enough to bring it up to about 35 ppm (I am sensitive to it so keep it a little low). Since I keep the head space very small, it won't get oxidised in the bottle. It is also believed that small amounts will improve the actual mouth feel of the wine.

this is a great thread! :) I have tons of blackberries right now! and peahen eggs ready to go in the bator tomarrow night :) how long does the whole process take start to finnish?

this is a great thread! :) I have tons of blackberries right now! and peahen eggs ready to go in the bator tomarrow night :) how long does the whole process take start to finnish?

winemaking or incubating?

ok, winemaking. Depends on what you are mkaing and how you like it. Light and fruity, sweet and intense? Can be made in as little as 3-4 weeks, but IMHO is much better after 6 months!

My brood juice seems to prove difficult to clarify, looks like this one will be setting for a while before bottling
hmm.png

Have you tried bentonite or Sparkaloid? Bentonite is good if you don't have a filter, but is does produce thick lees. They say you should filter if you use Sparkaloid, but I've used it and not filtered it and seems fine. I'm alive and kicking!

Of course, we have a filter now which is really fabulous for crystal clear wines.

Final product - Strawberry Wine.

This batch was good but it could have been better. It wasn't as sweet as I wanted it to be. I think I may add more sugar next time.

Someone asked about the color. Well, the color did change a bit. Here are before and after pics.

Before fermenting

After fermenting.

Any else have new wine pics or stories to share?

Back
Top Bottom