How many wine makers do we have here?

Quote:
My husband is the same. We have a 6 gallon carboy...makes about 30 bottles. I want to get a bunch of small ones to make small "home reserve" batches.....rose hips will soon be nice and ripe.

I do the six gallon carboys too. I have a room dedicated to the making of wine. Friends and family members actually get mad if I act like I aint making any. Its funny to watch

Quote:
My husband is the same. We have a 6 gallon carboy...makes about 30 bottles. I want to get a bunch of small ones to make small "home reserve" batches.....rose hips will soon be nice and ripe.

I do the six gallon carboys too. I have a room dedicated to the making of wine. Friends and family members actually get mad if I act like I aint making any. Its funny to watch

Same here, I think I'm support half my families wine habit.

Quote:

So we are all basically ENABLERS !!!LOL

Does anyone know what yeast you would get when a recipe calls for Sherry wine yeast? I've asked at several wine making shops here is WI and nobody has one. ???

Quote:

So we are all basically ENABLERS !!!LOL

Does anyone know what yeast you would get when a recipe calls for Sherry wine yeast? I've asked at several wine making shops here is WI and nobody has one. ???

I thought it was Montrochet used for sherry. There are some wonderful wine making forums.

Going to rack our very first batch of Wild persimmons wine this weekend..est 15% with triple hydrometer.. took a little taste of it this morning and it taste pretty good, but I'm going to Stabilize/sweeten it Lil more before bottling it in a few months. Gonna start 1 more batch in about 2 weeks from now. will take some pic's of it racked

PERSIMMON WINE 1 gallon recipe
3 lbs ripe persimmons
2 1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
1 tblsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
7 pts water
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 packet Montrachet, Pasteur Red or Champagne yeast

Yes i have lots of seeds available.. they are the wild type persimmon, you must wait till there perfectly ripe to really use them in anything.. this year they have been dropping real early and are tasting very good. Going to make some bread and pudding with them also as they ripen along

Heres my Lil web page on them, still working on it though, but you can get an idea of what they are..
http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/persimmonstreeseeds.htm

If you want some just feel free to pm me..

1st racking 10-29-2010..persimmons wine..not as dark as i was hoping for, next batch I'm going to add some French oak cubes to it..

persimmonswine2010002.jpg

Last edited:
Have a question for all of you experienced wine makers !!!

My hubby decided to mix some home made apple juice with some home made strawberry juice. We use the steam juicer to the juice. Anyway the recipe for the apple wine calls for 2 1/4 tsp of acid blend per gallon and the strawberry recipe calls for only 1 tsp per gallon.

He is making approx 2 1/2 gallons of wine with 1 1/4 gallon of juice of each apple and strawberry. So what would be the correct amount of acid blend to use?

2 3/4 tsp for the apple
1 1/4 for the strawberry

For a total of 4 tsp's ???

Also the apple recipe calls for Champaine yeast and the strawberry just calls for a wine yeast. what would you reccomend?

Any idea how this willl turn out??

Thanks much

Back
Top Bottom