How many wine makers do we have here?

yep, i would go with the 4 tsp. You never know how mixes will turn out, just have to wait and see! Either yeast should be fine, just a little different. With the blend, I think I'd go with the wine yeast

Quote:
Wow, never heard of them. I will have to find out if they are hardy in zone 4. I am in NE WI.

So I would have to plant the seeds in spring and wait 6 yrs for some fruit hey?

I'll have to look in the produce section next time I'm at the store and see if they have them. I will defineately get some seeds from you if I find out they are hardy here.

Thanks

FrenchToast they may grow in zone 4, heres some info on them,
http://www.treetrail.net/diospyros.html

we
built our home here at the base of the blue Mountain and the mature tree's were growing here long before we built here. however i have grown 3 more that are 8 years old from the seed which gave fruit in there seventh year here., All you could do is try the seed and see if they would take hold there..

it will take at the least 6 years in full sunlight to get fruit from them..

you may be able to buy the none native variety in your local supermarkets, but they are not as sweet as a fully ripened wild persimmons.

Last edited:
Breathing life back into this thread....

A couple questions for all you wine makers.

1. Any orange wines or mead recipes.....I've got about 30 oranges to play with and lots of cranberries hhmmm something cranorange??
2. Can I use a larger secondary (5 gal) for a 3 or 4 gal batch?

Quote:
water, specialty yeasts designed to ferment fruit (different kinds do different things) and lots of sugar....

I used to make fruit wines, port and high end kits that I messed around with... it was as addictive as chickens! Now I stick to kits.

Wine Experts and a couple of other companies have wine forums just ike this chicken forum! Do a google and check it out.

Fresh fruit wines are easy to make..
Right now we have persimmons, Apple, grape wines going..all from fresh fruit. The persimmons from our farm and the others from other local farms

Last edited:
My peach wine just turned a year old today!!! How do I know? My CSA box came with fresh peaches and I used last year's first harvest to make the wine! So it's time to break it out... all 10 gallons of it...
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

(and I have rhubarb, muscat and pear in there as well.....mmmm)

Do you make cider? I love making cider because it only takes like 2 days and it's low in alcohol but high in delicious. Pear, cinnamon, honey and some yeast and you have yourself something that tastes like Christmas mixed with a kiss from the liquor fairy.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom