How many wine makers do we have here?

frow.gif
Add two more to the list!

Skip and I made our first 5 gallon batch of pear wine together last October and it turned out well!

We're hoping to do a 5 gallon batch this year with a combination of our native blueberries/blackberries.

Since we're living in a 22' camper, there's not much room to do more than 5 gallons a year and I'm so looking forward to more room we we can expand our hobby!

wilds of pa,

I'd love to be able to try making both persimmon and elderberry wines eventually. The elderberries didn't have much fruit, if any, last year due to drought but the persimmons were loaded. I need to go to my aunt's farm and see if I can find some small elderberry bushes that I can transplant here and cultivate. She gave me a bunch of persimmon seeds from last years crop and I have 4 seedlings, so far.

Dawn

OK I know i started planning to make wine like 3 years ago, BUT i bought a 1 gallon wine making kit for my man for fathers day. I also bought some sweet cherry purree to make cherry wine. I am such a novice at this I am going to have to watch a bunch of YouTUbe videos for sure. I have read the whole book so far and still dont know how to correctly assemble it. Im bout to leave for Disney vacation but when I get back it's going to be time to figure this out. I can't wait to do it but I want to make sure I have like a whole day to study what im doing. I dont wanna mess it up.

I "gave" some to a friend and he "gave" me $15 for a bottle.
wink.png

I have blackberry in a 4 gal. pickle jug I started Tuesday. I used a juicer and threw the pulp away this time, I have read that you need the pulp, we will see how it does. As soon as the grapes are ready I'll be making 4gals. of it.

Quote:
Dawn that pear wine sound awesome, what type of pears did you use to make it.. 22' Camper..sounds interesting.. do you have electric at least..

the elderberry grows very well here in the north, we are never with out rain here, sometimes the rain can be a big pain to... The black raspberries are on big time now and the wild huckle berries are just starting up as well. mother nature sure did give us all some sweet thing to eat and drink in are Lovely America..

No selling wine for us, for personal use
droolin.gif
and gifts to family members only

some concord grape & more apple wine, this batch of apple wine Ive added cinnamon sticks to the wine fermentation stage (cant wait to try it)..will bottle in about a month from now
concord-apple003.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you need a license to sell it. Like wilds of pa we gift wine to family and friends however I have strict orders to NEVER give my blueberry wine to anyone! DW loves my blueberry wine!

Quote:
I think you need a license to sell it. Like wilds of pa we gift wine to family and friends however I have strict orders to NEVER give my blueberry wine to anyone! DW loves my blueberry wine!

Blueberry?
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
thumbsup.gif

Wilds of PA,

The pear wine turned out to be pretty high octane and we warn everyone we've shared it with "do not drink this if you have to leave the house"! So far, they've all agreed.
cool.png

We've no idea what type of pear it is as it was there when my uncle and aunt bought the farmstead 35+ years ago. She told us they they've never done anything care-wise to it and it produces huge crops every year, even in droughts. I saved seeds from it last year and have the seedlings in pots down in the garden. Want them to get a bit bigger before I plant them out.

We moved to our land in 9/'09 and didn't get our electric until January of this year. It's just Skip and I so it's not a big deal but we hope to start working on our cabin this summer. We did get city water put in before we moved here but are now wishing we'd spent that money on drilling a well. Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it.
roll.png

Well, I went up and checked our blue- and blackberries this evening and doubt we'll be making our Black & Blue wine this year. I'd covered some of our low bush blueberries with row cover (left plenty uncovered for the wildlife) and the berries were dried on the bushes. I tried a few, thinking I'd just store them in a jar and rehydrate them for the wine but I think blue paper would be tastier. Doesn't look like we'll be getiing much in the black berries either. So, it's back to the drawing board here (sharpening my Crayolas).

The apple with cinnamon sticks sounds like it will be to die for!

Skip would like to experiment with some of the fancier wines but I'm happy with my country wines.

We don't sell ours either, it's only for personal use and gifts.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom