How many wine makers do we have here?

Some times wine making can become a chore. Yesterday we decided to rack and place wine in secondaries. We had t buckets of apple and one of muscadine we started fermenting last wkend. Squeezing the pulp out and getting rid of al the apple peels and grape hulls can get pretty tedious. A fruit press would be a very big help, but since I dont own one, heres how I did it.

I took and extra empty plastic bucket and stretched a cheese cloth across the top. I then slowly poured the must thru the cheese cloth to catch any of the large pieces. I let it drip dry for a few minutes and the took the corners of the cheese cloth and twisted them together. I then placed the cloth with all the hullls, peeling, seeds and whatever whole fruit that was left, down into the now empty fermenting bucket and pushed down on the cloth using my spread open hands to press the remaining juice from the fruit. I think a clean board or maybe a small metal pot, would have worked better than my hands, but that ideal just came to me as I was writing this, so maybe next time. Anyways. I would press whatever juice i could out of the pulp and pour it into the other bucket with the strained juice and repeat the procedure until the amount of juice extracted didnt seem worth the effort it took to get it. Straining thru a cheese cloth will leave a lot of pulp in the juice, but I feel this is perfect for making the wine. This is the point I measure and add my sugar to the must. No sugars where added to the fermenting fruit when it was first put in the fermenting bucket 7 days ago. Since I had three different wine blends going at the same time, I had to keep cleaning buckets and changeing out cheese cloths, and I kind of made a mess at the sink. DW kept cutting her eyes in my direction and after 35 years, I pretty much knew what she was thinking.

Knowing I had a big mess to clean up. I figured I might as well rack off some of the other wines I have going under the sink. The first candidate was the pure honey mead we have had working since mid June. This is the first time this wine has been racked and there was a ton of dark mother's yeast in the bottom of the jars. Since we use 1gal glass jug as carbouys, I decided to rack all (3gal),the wine into one large container so to make a even blend. Using the clear plastic sphion hose I racked and filtered the wine thru a cotton cloth into the container. I kept the hose just off the bottom of the glass jugs so as to not suck up any of the dead yeast and what little that did get sucked up was captured by the cotton cloth. I then washed and sterilized the glass carbouys and refilled with the now almost clear mead. I will rack again in a few months. Of course i couldnt help but have a small taste, which led to another, then another, and another, anyways, you get the picture. LOL This mead is turing out super and I am thinking about getting another gallon of honey and starting another batch really soon. Got to free up some carbouys first.

I decided not to rack anything else since most of what I had brewing was started pretty recently. I will be racking and bottleing some grape wine I started back in early May pretty soon, I have 2 gal of peach that is almost clear and the blackberry will be next.

14833_0910111116.jpg

Wine on left is the peach, middle 2 are apple mint and on the right is muscadine
there are 14-1gal jugs and 1-1/2 gal jug under the sink right now. I have a 3 gal bucket of muscadine still in the primary bucket working off also.

Jen, Maybe you need to do to him like my wife did to me. She beat me severly about the head and shoulders until I started agreeing to her way of thinking.
smack.gif

Actually, the wine makeing was her ideal and I am a lot more like your husband than I care to admit. (meaning, I just havent found a food grade barrel to make wine in ..............YET!)
lol.png

I love your "under the sink" set-up, muddstopper!
cool.png

My mom gave us two small - medium watermelons yesterday so we'll be trying our hands at a 5 gallon back of watermelon/white grape juice concentrate wine. We plan on buying a large watermelon to add to this experiment.

During my recipe research, I've learned that watermelon juice has a tendency to spoil before it actually ferments, so I'm studying up on using a yeast starter to give it an extra boost. Has anyone here used this and what is your prefered method (I've found a couple different ones, so far).

Edited to add:

Just remembered we gotten some of mom's watermelon jelly from last year that was (oh, how to describe it?) too solid to spread so We'll be adding these to the mix. Found out how to how to make wine from jelly so I'll probably do this step tonight after I get all the equipment gathered up and sterilized.

This is turning into a doozy of an experiment!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Well, my first attempt at a yeast starter was a failure. I think most of it had to do with the temperature swings we've been having here plus the yeast was from last year but I don't know if that was a factor, or not.

Still haven't got the watermelon wine started but will be doing so in a few days as hubby is off work this week (as of tomorrow) and this whole thing is going to be much easier to do with an extra pair of hands.

After the yeast starter failed, there wasn't anything I could do but yesterday we got our order from Midwest Supply. We ordered a fast acting yeast for the watermelon wine in hopes that it will help keep the juice from spoiling. Our temps have cooled off again so that should help, too. I've read that you should refrigerate the juice (with everything added to it but the yeast) for the first 24 hours but we can't go that route since we only have a dorm-sized fridge.
barnie.gif

Will update in a few days....

Quote:
How where you trying to make your yeast starter?

Temp are important, but I never measure the temp and just keep my starter at room temp and havent had any problems. A couple of things you might have done wrong. One, of course if the yeast was old and hadnt been stored properly, then that could of certainly been part of the problem. Second, what where you adding your yeast to. Part of the Wine Must, sugar water, combination of juice and water? Pure water will start killing off the yeast after about 1/2 hour and is a very poor choice for starter. Sugar syrup is all calories and doesnt give the yeast much nutrition, to much sugar sort of shocks the yeast, ( my discription for lack of a better way to say it), and it will never start fermenting. What I have found that seems to work for me is to use just pure juice. About a cup of juice in a pint jar, kept at room temperature overnite, ( and many will say 4 or 5 hours is plenty of time). Put the yeast in the juice and cover with a cloth secured with a rubber band. The CO2 given off as the yeast is working will create a positive pressure that keeps the wild yeast and bacteria out of you starter. If you seal the jar, you will create a anerobic ( lack of Oxygen) condition that will kill of your yeast. After 24hrs, your starter should have a crust ontop of the contents, just stir this crust into your starter and then mix throughly into your wine must inside your primary fermenting bucket.

Disclaimer, I only do this as a hobby and in no way would be considered an expert. Some of the things I use and do dont necessary agree with other tried and true methods. What I do seems to work for me and since this is only a hobby, I am free to try/do/make my wine as I please. And of course, if what I do doesnt work for you, you can do as I do when I make a mistake, which is pour it out and start all over. With this in mind, if someone doesnt agree with my methods, they should feel free to post how they do it and we can all learn a thing or two.

Thanks for your truly helpful post, muddstopper.
hugs.gif

What I did was boil 1 pint of pure H2Omelon juice (to sterilize it), let it cool to room temperature then added 1/4 tspn yeast nutrient and 2 tspn sugar (mixed all together, then pured this off into a 2 liter soda bottle then added the yeast.

Where I went wrong was putting a sterilized balloon onto the top of the soda bottle.

If nothing else, this was a good "lesson learned" for me.

We'll be getting to bed early tonight and spending all day tomorrow doing the wine.

Thanks again for your help!

Giving credit where credit is due, http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/watermel.asp

Watermelon
Wine (makes 3 gallons)

· 2-3 large watermelons
· up to 7-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
· 3 tsp acid blend
· 2 crushed Campden tablet
· 3 tsp yeast nutrient
· packet Champagne yeast

Extract the juice from two or three large watermelons (2 gallons 3 quarts total juice), discarding pulp. Ideally, you'd like to end up with 2-3/4 gallons of pure juice. Measure 2 gal and 1 qt juice and put in primary. Set aside any residual juice in qt bottle(s) and store it in the refrigerator. To the primary add 7 lbs sugar [NOTE the warning at the end of the introduction, above, and determine exactly how much sugar your juice really needs], the acid blend and yeast nutrient and stir well to dissolve. Stir in crushed Campden tablets and cover primary with sterile cloth. Set aside 24 hours and sprinkle Champagne yeast on top of juice. When fermentation is evident, stir juice daily for seven days. Add remaining sugar [if needed] and stir to dissolve. Recover primary and set aside another 7 days without further stirring. Rack into 3-gallon secondary and fit airlock without topping up. Set aside for 10 days, top up with retained juice in refrigerator and set aside another 3 months. Drink or discard juice in refrigerator. Rack again and bottle if clear. If not clear, top up and refit airlock until crystal clear. Rack into bottles and age one year. [Adapted from Norma Jean and Carole Darden's Spoonbread and Strawberry Wine]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom