How many wine makers do we have here?

Quote:
Thanks, and for the advice. I guess it was one of those times that I simply neglected the wine until it was too late. A little H2S is not usually a problem; this was a biggie! Wines low in amino acids often develop a light H2S aroma. Also, certain yeasts (Montrachet is notorious) may produce more H2S, so I now avoid those like the plague! (This only happens if the must has been sulfited though)

So, what wines are you currently making, if I may ask...?

I'm currently focusing on Meads. Neighbors have hives.

Quote:
Are you making a straight mead, or adding fruit?

What's been your experience with clouding - do you heat or not heat prior to ferment?

I've made some, with fruit addition. I found mine cleared better with the heating method, but it's so time consuming. Plus, the meads tend to take several years to mature. I'm just so impatient
smile.png

I have straight mead, pure honey, working under my sink right now. I chose to heat mine. I used 1 gal of honey and 2 gal of water and yeast. I have racked it a couple of times, and I filter it thru a clean cotton cloth, (new Tshirt), to help remove the settlements. Patience is a requirement for good mead, but it isnt a crime if you feel the need to taste test a few glass fulls before it has time to age. (I am just about out of patience)

I also use honey in the place of sugar in some of my fruit wines, and sometimes use honey and sugar together. I definately feel honey can add body and taste to probably most of the fruit wines.

Quote:
Ah, sounds like you like a slightly sweeter mead. Great for after dinner, or sipping on a sunny, Sunday afternoon!
Patience is a requirement for good mead, but it isnt a crime if you feel the need to taste test a few glass fulls before it has time to age. (I am just about out of patience)

I have some other wines going now, so the patience thing won't be too much of a bother. I have some nice honeys from California - Orange Blossom and Wildflower. Looks like I'm going to be busy this week.
I also use honey in the place of sugar in some of my fruit wines, and sometimes use honey and sugar together. I definitely feel honey can add body and taste to probably most of the fruit wines.

I'll have to try that - I think perhaps my melon wine would benefit from some Honey - thanks for the tip!

BTW, what is that avatar, what's on it's head?
idunno.gif

Quote:
The little kitty has a lime peel on its head. No!, I didnt do it, I found the pic on the net several, several, years ago and have used it as a avatar ever since.. I get a ton of comments on that avatar ever year.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I've never made beer - I heard it's harder than wine, got to pay close attention to the temps or it goes wrong. Is that true?

I'm a newby at beer making, we've made exactly one batch, but it was summer and the house we were in doesn't have airconditioning - so temp control was just not possible. we picked the room with the most stable temp, but ... pretty much it was uncontrolled. nonetheless, we made a *very* nice smoked porter. might be we were just lucky, but the process seems pretty robust.

Quote:
I've never made beer - I heard it's harder than wine, got to pay close attention to the temps or it goes wrong. Is that true?

I'm a newby at beer making, we've made exactly one batch, but it was summer and the house we were in doesn't have airconditioning - so temp control was just not possible. we picked the room with the most stable temp, but ... pretty much it was uncontrolled. nonetheless, we made a *very* nice smoked porter. might be we were just lucky, but the process seems pretty robust.

Well we never bothered with temp here either and our Beer last time was wonderful - I only have one bottle left
hit.gif

BUT THE NEW KEG IS READY TO BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Oesdog
lol.png

Quote:
Do you do anything special to the honey before adding it to your fruit wines?

Pure honey has all kinds of pollen and I suppose wild yeast, in it. What I normally do is boil water and then pour in the honey, or sugar, depending on which I am using, then stir until it dissolves in the hot water. Once cooled to room temp, I stir it into the wine must, add airlock and watch it bubble for a month or two before touching it again. Apples and honey seems to do well for me, I dont like the white grapes and honey. Dont like the white grapes in any wines for that matter. Concord grapes and honey is excellent.

One Blue Ridge Hillbilly wine maker here. I just finished racking my this years wine for the second time today. 5 gal of apple, 5 gal of Muscadine and 5 gal of scuppernong. So far, so good. I plan to rack it a few more times and hope it will be ready by spring of 2012.

Back
Top Bottom