How many wine makers do we have here?

Quote:
So, was the blackberry the one that was too tart - did you sugar/ Is that what fixed it? I'm glad it turned out well. Let us know how you fixed in just in case we need to do it too.

Got to get me some parsnips and make some more "Tanglefoot" - now that'll make one giddy
big_smile.png

Quote:
So, was the blackberry the one that was too tart - did you sugar/ Is that what fixed it? I'm glad it turned out well. Let us know how you fixed in just in case we need to do it too.

Got to get me some parsnips and make some more "Tanglefoot" - now that'll make one giddy
big_smile.png

Tanglefoot , parsnip - never heard of it???? Oh please send me the recipie???? tell me about it!!!! I will drink anything that makes me giddy!!!!!!

Oesdog
lol.png

Quote:
yeah, that's why it's called "Tanglefoot" in the south west of England. You can go to many a pub there, and the barkeep has these big ceramic jugs on the top shelves, provided by the local farmers, and those drinks sure make you sit a while!

I'll dig out the recipe. It's a bit complicated, no, not complicated, just got to keep an eye on the parsnips so you don't overcook them or it clouds the wine. I'll look it up.

Quote:

"Sept 24,2011
Racked and added 1 cup water+2Cup sugar syrup and 1 cup blackberry sugar syrup ( MarcoPolo brand)," thats all that I had done to the blackberry and that was the last time I had tasted it. Amazing the difference 2 months can make. We did add 3 more cups (1 1/2lb) of sugar. I am a little bit iffy on this, I need to get the alcohol level up some to keep it from spoiling, but I am now afraid I might get it to sweet.

Quote:
There is a method of getting the alcohol up, but as you say, it's iffy.

Method: Pour off some of the wine, and add an equal amount of sugar syrup or sweetened blackberry syrup - if you use a Pearson's square, you can figure out how much sugar to add. Use a strong (high alcohol tolerant) wine yeast to get it started. Once it get's going strong, add some more of the sewwt wine . Keep on doing this until the desired alcohol level is reached. Problem with this method is that it can "stick" with higher than wanted sugar levels.

OTOH, since the wine tastes good, you might prefer to bottle and drink it early, rather than risk it not re-fermenting to the higher alcohol level. (If it were me, I'd drink it early, especially considering how much time you have in the project)

(or, just add some neutral vodka or other neutral spirit)

Quote:
yeah, that's why it's called "Tanglefoot" in the south west of England. You can go to many a pub there, and the barkeep has these big ceramic jugs on the top shelves, provided by the local farmers, and those drinks sure make you sit a while!

I'll dig out the recipe. It's a bit complicated, no, not complicated, just got to keep an eye on the parsnips so you don't overcook them or it clouds the wine. I'll look it up.

The ceramic Jugs you mention are usually full of scrumpy. It is NOT cider!!!!! It used to be kept in Lead lined stone vats. That is why in the south west of England "The West Country" there were many records of "village idiots" or folk who were mentally challenged!!! - these were folk who actually drank lots of Scrumpy and got lead poisoning from the vats which damaged their brains. Of course they know that now but that is the history. I am from the west country! Although I now live in Ireland my roots are there. Scrumpy if made right is a bit like your moonshine very potent and will certainly remove the varnish from furniture!

Oesdog

Quote:
I'm from the Midlands (way back)! I know Scrumpy. Took Hubby (a Californian) to the Cheddar Gorge for REAL cheese and Scrumpy. He was blown away (and we couldn't stand up for some time).

I tried it once and the wine turned out to be gawd awful - lol. I will be purchasing from the wine store from now on.

Tanglefoot for OESDOG

Ok, I found the recipe - for 1 gallon (I prefer to make 6 at a time but until you make a trial batch. . .?)

Cotes de Blanc yeast

3 big parsnips
1 can gooseberries 14 ounce can (or 16 oz)
1 large bunch fresh green grapes
1 big teaspoon elderflowers
4 teaspoons pectic enzyme
1 teaspoon acid blend
1/2 teaspoon super food
2 lbs of sugar (approx - or use a hydrometer to bring must up to about 24 brix)
1 Cambden tablet (or powder to 50 ppm - you would need a gram scale)

Cut parsnips into slices, and simmer gently until just fork tender. Strain (eat parsnips later with dinner). Smash grapes and add to "cooled" parsnip juice. Add can of gooseberries, elderflowers and rest of ingredients, except sugar. If you use a hydrometer add sugar slowly until you reach 24 brix. If you don't have a hydrometer, you can add 2 lbs sugar (it may be a tad more alcoholic). If you Don't use Cambden, you can also add yeast now. If you use Cambden, delay addition of yeast for 24 hours.

Put in fermenting vessel and add an airlock, stick it in a dark place and wait.

If you prefer not to use Superfood - I would suggest using a different yeast. This particular yeast is a low foaming yeast, and has a lot of really nice organoleptic qualities at end of fermentation, but it requires nutrient to ferment out fully. Prise de Mousse would be ok.

Don't go overboard on the elderflowers - they could be omitted if you don't like them. I use the grapes for vinous quality.

When fermentation is complete, this wine will need to be racked (can be cloudy, which is why you shouldn't "Boil" the parsnips, and why you need the pectic enzyme). The wine will taste rough for a while, but after about 6 months (maybe longer, we forgot about ours for almost 12 months), you will be rewarded will a delightful wine - indeed a proper Tanglefoot!

droolin.gif

I have already added the extra sugar to the blackberry so now its just wait and see. If it doesnt start to referment, I will start another batch with storebought frozen blackberries and then mix the two when they are finished. I think it is going to referment as I have seen a few bubbles in the airlock. Not bubbleing like crazy, just a bubble every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom